Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

tanksitter fed WAY too much food while I was away..now what?

ARRRGGG..AHHHH...
my roomie was suppose to feed the fish once during my four day trip, when I called and told him to. He fed TWICE A DAY!

I get home and there are flakes all over the bottom. I tested the water with my kit.
ph 7.5
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate light light light blueish purple (very low..or was that nitrite?)
salt .025
brown algae on walls.

Anyways, the fish look alright, a little sluggish..water is ok.
I did about a 5 gallon change with premade saltwater.

What should I do to get out the other food? I tried to get it with a net but that didnt work. I do have live rock that I dont want to move, it will make a mess, and sand. I HAD a diamond gobie but he jumped. (second one in a month?)

Old 08-25-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try syphoning out what you can using some airline tubing and let your clean up crew clean up what you can't. Do extra testing and extra water changes to help keep things stable. I would probably do 10g water changes as opposed to the 5g til things are back to normal. The only thing that is of a concern is you ph that I can see. Is it always that low?

Old 08-25-2006, 05:19 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree with Fluff. If you have the python siphon or something similar, with a bigger opening, that might make it easier to keep a lot of sand from getting sucked up. You can do it with your regular tubing, just go slow or you will suck up a lot of sand....like I found out the hard way.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes, my ph is always a bit low..I am adding a ph buffer powder (8.2) weekly when I add more water to top off.

My ph is always around 7.8 or so. How come? How often should I add the powder to raise it?

Is it true that ph is higher in the evening when your lights have been on all day?.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:14 PM   #5
Tex
Aquarium Advice Freak

Time to ditch the roomie and get a new one. 8)
Old 08-25-2006, 06:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree..the guy is a idiot and can't follow directions. He also killed 3 of my bf's freshwater fish and there were floating pellets everywhere!

Let's just say that my new majestic angelfish better make it..OR ELSE!!!!
Old 08-25-2006, 06:19 PM   #7
Tex
Aquarium Advice Freak

Floating pellets? 8O Get a rope.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneyclv
Yes, my ph is always a bit low..I am adding a ph buffer powder (8.2) weekly when I add more water to top off.

My ph is always around 7.8 or so. How come? How often should I add the powder to raise it?

Is it true that ph is higher in the evening when your lights have been on all day?.
I have no experience with the buffer additives so I really can't say how they are supposed to be used. Sorry.
I can tell you though it's more important to have a stable ph than an ideal one. If this is what your fish are used to and they are doing well then your probably ok. Constant ph fluxuations are hard on the fish.
The best way to buffer your water is through water changes as there are natural buffers in the salt mixes and it should keep your ph stable. Here is an article that may help. HTH

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/pha...a/aa061301.htm

And yes, you ph will change depending on what time of day you test it.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

get as much out as you can. After your crabs will eat alot of it to, what ever is left over.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I got rid of my big hermit! He ate everything including a shrimp, baby trigger, and mithrax crab!

Hmm..I wonder what can eat up the rest?

Tags
food, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com