Tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil_ryu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yes I know its a no no and the best route is to get an ro/di unit. I haven't tested my water with a tds meter not sure were to get one. But I tested my water out of the faucet I get 0 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 ammonia. Would you still not use tap water or would I be safe and just get some water conditioner

Last edited by a moderator:
It's is phosphates you want to worry about from tap water

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes I know its a no no and the best route is to get an ro/di unit. I haven't tested my water with a tds meter not sure were to get one. But I tested my water out of the faucet I get 0 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 ammonia. Would u still not use tap water or would I be safe and just get some water conditioner

TDS Meter's are very easy to come by online, and they are not to terribly expensive.

However, an RO unit is by far the best way to go, I suggest getting an RO unit not only for your initial tank fill, but for all water changes, and top offs as well. When it comes to your tank the last thing you want to do is get it all set up, and running with fish in it, then in a few weeks do a water change, just to kill your fish! :blink:

It's is phosphates you want to worry about from tap water

This was the only thing I can find but that was in 2011

Anchorage, AK
Ph: 8
Nitrate: 3.0ppm
Chlorine (and variants): 0.91ppm
Flouride: 1.18ppm
Phosphate: Unknown
Sulfate: Unknown
Lead: 2.44ppb

you need a test kit to test for phosphate .
it would be safer just to use distilled water till you can get a RO/DI unit
Like Matt said why risk adding fish to see something bad come about .
your spending all that money building up your tank why risk screwing it all up with tap water . I did that very same thing with my first tank and lost some costly fish , it's not worth the risk considering 79cents a gal for distilled is a small cost to be sure the fish are safe , Most of the nicer salt water fish are in the $50 range

Last edited:
The bigger concern with tap water are the unknowns, like the heavy metals, and things out into the water that are good for us and not so much for fish, like the fluoride you mentioned.

you need a test kit to test for phosphate .
it would be safer just to use distilled water till you can get a RO/DI unit
Like Matt said why risk adding fish to see something bad come about .
your spending all that money building up your tank why risk screwing it all up with tap water . I did that very same thing with my first tank and lost some costly fish , it's not worth the risk considering 79cents a gal for distilled is a small cost to be sure the fish are safe , Most of the nicer salt water fish are in the $50 range

Is this a good unit I didn't get the di for it

p-85957-70465K-fish.jpg

Back
Top Bottom