Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-03-2002, 11:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Tap Water Filter

Has anyone heard of or tried the Tap Water Filter system from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals? According to their web site it is a better solution than RO/DI systems. Looking for any feedback.

Thanks

Old 12-04-2002, 12:02 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
do you have there website address. id like to read what they have to say.

Old 12-04-2002, 12:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yes,

here is the link to the technical info.
http://www.aquariumpharm.com/techref...ium/apb128.htm
Old 12-04-2002, 01:22 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I couldnt find the price. What is it?

Ive used there Melafix product and I really like it.

I would be interested to see what fishfreek and reefrunner have to say about this product.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:30 AM   #5

Tap Water Filter

The LFS's in my area sell them for $25 to $35 dollars, depending on who wants to make the most money...

Home depot carries a lot of good water filters also...

I hear that the Tap Water Filter is the way to go, from my LFS. They say you can't beat the price for the quality of water you gat from it...
Old 12-04-2002, 01:33 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Is it better than ro/di? That sounds somewhat far fetched to me considering the price of ro/di units. If they are better than ro/di units are a major scam.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:43 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
We are compairing two different prodcuts here. The tap water purifier that you posted is a DI filter. They are compairing its performance to a RO unit not a RO/DI unit.

If you combine the RO and the DI unit shown on the link above you basicly get a RO/DI unit.

IMHO if your using tap water any prefilter on the water supply will be better than none. I know of people who have used these with great results.

BUT, with that said RO/DI water is as close to pure H2O as you can get via filtration. The fact that at the top this unit says it makes great water for all types of fish it leads me to belive that many of the metals and minerals that are common to natural freshwater enviorents are not filtered out by this unit.

Adding RO/DI water to freshwater tanks with no additives to replace the vital minerals and such can be detramental to plant and fish health because the water will litrally pull the minerals out of the fish and plant cells.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 11:13 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use the tap water purifier for my 55 gal. FW tank at work.
I am having no problems with this unit at all, The tank was badly neglected for about one year and with frequent water changes using this system the tank is crystal clear. I did use this at home but there I am on well water and it didn't do as well. I would recomend using a R/O unit of some type for SW tanks. I now use Kents Max 60 HIS R/O unit at home for both my FW (with Kents RO right added) and SW tanks. I don't use the additives that come with the tap water purifier never really worked for me.

As for pulling the the needed items from the fish and plants I can not agree with this statement it has been posted many times but in my research to find out about this I can only find that RO units strip the water of nutrients not from the fish and plants themselves.

75 gal. Reef & 30 gal. Anemone Tanks.

I get paid for what I may have to do, Not for what I do!
EMS503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 11:21 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Water is the universal solvent. After all the grand canyon was made by water.

Water starts out 100% pure as two hydrogen ions and one oxygen ion. Only thru its great ability to absorb and hold other ions are hard metals, minerals and other impurities collected.

Pure water has a great absorbtion capacity to absorb and hold these impurities.

This is why my statment was made.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 01:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
BUT, with that said RO/DI water is as close to pure H2O as you can get via filtration. The fact that at the top this unit says it makes great water for all types of fish it leads me to belive that many of the metals and minerals that are common to natural freshwater enviorents are not filtered out by this unit.
Like you said the Tap Water Purifier is a DI unit. It'll remove pretty much everything, depending on the flow rate through the cartridge.

These things are fine if you have fairly good tap water to begin with. If you're running very hard water with a high TDS level, the cartridge won't last very long. Of course, this is what Aquarium Pharmaceuticals is hoping for.

Quote:
Adding RO/DI water to freshwater tanks with no additives to replace the vital minerals and such can be detramental to plant and fish health because the water will litrally pull the minerals out of the fish and plant cells.
Years ago I read this same thing about humans drinking RO water. Turned out to be a load of crap. My RO filter was intended to be a drinking water system. It even came with a faucet to mount on my kitchen sink.

Tags
filter, tap water, water filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com