Tap Water Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdave

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Has anyone heard of or tried the Tap Water Filter system from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals? According to their web site it is a better solution than RO/DI systems. Looking for any feedback.

Thanks

I couldnt find the price. What is it?

Ive used there Melafix product and I really like it.

I would be interested to see what fishfreek and reefrunner have to say about this product.

The LFS's in my area sell them for $25 to $35 dollars, depending on who wants to make the most money...

Home depot carries a lot of good water filters also...

I hear that the Tap Water Filter is the way to go, from my LFS. They say you can't beat the price for the quality of water you gat from it...

Is it better than ro/di? That sounds somewhat far fetched to me considering the price of ro/di units. If they are better than ro/di units are a major scam.

We are compairing two different prodcuts here. The tap water purifier that you posted is a DI filter. They are compairing its performance to a RO unit not a RO/DI unit.

If you combine the RO and the DI unit shown on the link above you basicly get a RO/DI unit.

IMHO if your using tap water any prefilter on the water supply will be better than none. I know of people who have used these with great results.

BUT, with that said RO/DI water is as close to pure H2O as you can get via filtration. The fact that at the top this unit says it makes great water for all types of fish it leads me to belive that many of the metals and minerals that are common to natural freshwater enviorents are not filtered out by this unit.

Adding RO/DI water to freshwater tanks with no additives to replace the vital minerals and such can be detramental to plant and fish health because the water will litrally pull the minerals out of the fish and plant cells.

I use the tap water purifier for my 55 gal. FW tank at work.
I am having no problems with this unit at all, The tank was badly neglected for about one year and with frequent water changes using this system the tank is crystal clear. I did use this at home but there I am on well water and it didn't do as well. I would recomend using a R/O unit of some type for SW tanks. I now use Kents Max 60 HIS R/O unit at home for both my FW (with Kents RO right added) and SW tanks. I don't use the additives that come with the tap water purifier never really worked for me.

As for pulling the the needed items from the fish and plants I can not agree with this statement it has been posted many times but in my research to find out about this I can only find that RO units strip the water of nutrients not from the fish and plants themselves.

Water is the universal solvent. After all the grand canyon was made by water.

Water starts out 100% pure as two hydrogen ions and one oxygen ion. Only thru its great ability to absorb and hold other ions are hard metals, minerals and other impurities collected.

Pure water has a great absorbtion capacity to absorb and hold these impurities.

This is why my statment was made.

fishfreek said:
BUT, with that said RO/DI water is as close to pure H2O as you can get via filtration. The fact that at the top this unit says it makes great water for all types of fish it leads me to belive that many of the metals and minerals that are common to natural freshwater enviorents are not filtered out by this unit.

Like you said the Tap Water Purifier is a DI unit. It'll remove pretty much everything, depending on the flow rate through the cartridge.

These things are fine if you have fairly good tap water to begin with. If you're running very hard water with a high TDS level, the cartridge won't last very long. Of course, this is what Aquarium Pharmaceuticals is hoping for.

Adding RO/DI water to freshwater tanks with no additives to replace the vital minerals and such can be detramental to plant and fish health because the water will litrally pull the minerals out of the fish and plant cells.

Years ago I read this same thing about humans drinking RO water. Turned out to be a load of crap. My RO filter was intended to be a drinking water system. It even came with a faucet to mount on my kitchen sink.

Bob thank you for your reply.

I just know what I have heard from other experenced hobbists.

I have also heard of comments about RO/DI water and human consumption. Some goes as far as describing the water as "dry" and not thurst quenching. Personally I love my RO/DI water jug in the fridge.

The only thing I have to say in defense would be just that I would 'assume' that us humans get the minerals and items that we need more from the food we eat rather than the water we drink. After all not to many people drink only water anymore. But with fish they are living in the water and thus in constant contact.

But given that this is all logic that has been derived from what I have read from other much more experenced hobbists I have to say I have no scientific evidence to back up such notions.

Pure water is very important in saltwater because saltwater fish are contantly drinking water. However freshwater fish are constanly expelling it.

So, from what I can gather from you all is that this tap water filter SHOULD NOT be used for a sw tank? I just read all the items below this product on the link and it seemed they were comparing it to alot of things. Also from the comments above it sounds like a DI will work just fine if you have a good quality of tap water. Does anyone now of a kit you can test your tap water with, or can I just use my SW test kit and see what the results are?

Thank You all for your input, really appreciate it.

fishdave said:
So, from what I can gather from you all is that this tap water filter SHOULD NOT be used for a sw tank?

Unless you have pristine tap water, you need some kind of filter. Good tap water may only need a DI, the Tap Water Purifier mentioned before is a DI filter. For not so good tap water, a RO filter , or maybe a RO/DI filter will be needed.

Unfortunately, someone mentioned that "pure" water shouldn't be used in a freshwater tank and that statement is being taken out of context. Statements like this should not be made without factual scientific evidence. The truth is, "pure" water can be used in ANY tank for topoff, but not for initial filling, and not for water changes.

I just read all the items below this product on the link and it seemed they were comparing it to alot of things. Also from the comments above it sounds like a DI will work just fine if you have a good quality of tap water. Does anyone now of a kit you can test your tap water with, or can I just use my SW test kit and see what the results are?

Thank You all for your input, really appreciate it.

You need a TDS meter. It will tell you how "pure" your water is and whether or not you need some kind of filtration.

Back
Top Bottom