Tap Water Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c-bass

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been reading about the R/O units and it was never budgeted for when I started putting my supplies list together. I am almost there with everything I need to get started, but now my concern is that I will get alot of unwanted algae without starting with R/O water. I am however buying a tap water filter from the LFS which was recommended to keep initial costs down. Am I fine using this device to start my tank with? Will it do the trick until I get an R/O unit? My X-mas list is getting fairly large now... Good thing I have a big family who likes giving!!!!

Ryan

What are the specifics of the unit you are looking at? It will most probabley be useful for some contaminates as well as the usual chlorine/chloramines but it will not have the same standard as a true RO would.

Cheers
Steve

Hey Steve... You seem to be my "go to" guy.... I appreciate it. You give good knowledgeable advice. Here is the purifier I was going to get.

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/shoppi...ration_equipment/products/product_16267.shtml

I think its a DI unit essentially, which is good cause I can add it to a RO line. Do you think it will work until a RO unit is purchased? Should I start my tank solely with this type of purified water?

To be honest I don't think that unit will do much more than adding Amquel or Prime. It won't remove the particulate matter anywhere near what an RO unit would.

Between you me and the fence post, I use tap water. Vancouver water is among the best in the world and the only real concern is the chlorine/chloramines. A water conditioner will take care of the rest. I have no algae issues at all.

You can read >>here<<

Cheers
Steve

Oh sure. Your water is the best in the world.

Im sure. :) Whats that make my water. Crappy american water

HEHE.. JK

Its cool you two are in the same place. Maybe you can get together and have a party.

Back
Top Bottom