Tap water start?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coel

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've made a few posts in the past about my 38 ill be setting up and the rock is on the way. Went with 40lbs reef saver from brs. Going to order salt in the next week or so. The tank is going to start off fowlr and move to reef when I can afford lights.

How many problems will I cause my self if I do my initial fill with tap water?

Also even if I do go buy water( I don't own a ro/do yet). Will rinsing my sand and rock off with tap water be okay?

I'm sure more questions will follow but that's it for now

Edit: app cut me off and posted lol

no dont use tap water
it contains phosphates and metals
it will cause big algae bloom out breaks causing big head achs in the long run
you can use distilled water or buy rodi water from pet store

My only pet store(petco) doesn't sell rodi so distilled from Walmart it is thank you

Would tap water still kill me as a precast for sand rock?

You can try the water out of the vending machine at Wal-Mart or outside you local grocery store. I bought one of the cheap eBay RO/DI units and I was a waste of money. When I went back to the water from the vending machine all of my algae was gone in a week.

I used my garden hose to rinse off my substrate with no ill effects. I also get Nestlé pure life water ( from Walmart ) because its done through distilling and/or RO. I've had no issues with that water.

My Walmart sells ro water. Look for the bottle with the lime green cap, and look on the label how its processed. (I've seen it a couple ways). Also I was told not to use Distilled water because the "ozoneation" process takes out the oxygen and its harder to get back in.

The vending machin that I use has worked out great for me. I'm sure that all if the companys are not the same.

So looks like I will be finding ro/di water to buy, I'm just excited to play with my live rock this weekend when it gets here

Thanks

I go to Petco as well and they will fill up jugs for you. The water they use to fill up thier tanks comes from an industrial ro di unit in the back. The sink they have back by the tanks is where they will fill jugs up. They only charge me .25 a gallon.

Back
Top Bottom