Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2005, 02:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

tap water to start out with

Is there anything wrong with starting out your tank with tap water because I don't think I can make all the trips necessary to get RO/DI water from my LFS to fill my tank. If it's ok should I add something like aqua safe to neutralize chlorine, etc..

Old 03-12-2005, 03:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are you going FO or FOWLR? Have you tested your tap water for contaminates including phosphate?

Old 03-12-2005, 03:08 AM   #3

I'm doing FOWLR. No I haven't tested my tap water for contaminates. That's a good idea. Should of thought of that.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Even though most advise against tap water use AT ALL, several people I know used tap water to start, and then used RO/DI water for subsequent top offs and water changes. That way, they could get started while their pocketbooks recoverd a bit from the rest of the purchases. Once the piggy bank was full again, they bougth the RO/DI units. They report no problems

I bought mine from eBay: vendor name filterdirect. I bought the RO/DI and two shut off valves: one for my garbage can storage tank and the other for use in my auto top of in my sump.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 05:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use only tap water all the time. However I did take a sample of our water to the local pool store and had it tested for chemicals and hardness. We use Prime as the conditioner. We have used several brands but have found Prime to be the best bang for the buck.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 05:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I used tap water to start my tank and then bought the same RO/DI unit on ebay as midiman. I havent had any problems with my water or the filtersdirect unit.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
did you guys use any sort of conditioner, i was told that instant ocean has conditioner in it, should i buy another conditioner like electrikat did? My LFS said that the town i live in has good water, and since i am not adding any coral i should be fine. Do you guys agree. I filled up with tap, but will probably doing top offs and water changes with RO.

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Every town adds chlorine to their water supply to kill bacteria. Doesn't matter where you live you have to use a dechlorinator. I suggested Prime because it does so much more. It gets rid of chlorine, chloramine. Detoxes ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Also adds a slime coat without causing your skimmer to have problems with overflowing and bubbling.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
awesome, i will pick som up later this week, thanks again.

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:28 PM   #10

Thanks for all your advice it has been helpful.

Tags
start, tap water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com