tds question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohio reefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
i just got my tds in the mail today. i tested my ro and it says it is 17ppm. is that good? what is the normal range. and what should it be when i need to change my membrane?

TIA

mark

ha ha ha, I'm from dayton also. Small world. Have you ever been to gerber's store on dryden road?

i tested my ro and it says it is 17ppm

What does the source water test at? What does your RO say it will remove? Percentage wise, etc... 17ppm may be great depending on what the source water tests, or it may be time to change the prefilters. Also does you RO have an automatic flush or manual flush valve? RO membranes should be flushed periodically, some incorporate an auto flush where you don't have to worry about it.

source water = 383ppm

my r/o = 17ppm

i have a manual flush which i just did on friday.

so that sounds pretty good, huh? what is the normal range? what ppm should i change membrane and media?

Have you ever been to gerber's store on dryden road?
yeah, go ther all the time!!!! hey check out this local (cincinnati) forum.
www.cincyreef.com its pretty cool!

hope to talk to you soon.

mark

source water = 383ppm

my r/o = 17ppm

i have a manual flush which i just did on friday.

so that sounds pretty good, huh? what is the normal range? what ppm should i change membrane and media?

Have you ever been to gerber's store on dryden road?
yeah, go ther all the time!!!! hey check out this local (cincinnati) forum.
www.cincyreef.com its pretty cool!

hope to talk to you soon.

mark

you may want to step up to an add on DI stage as 17 ppm seems a little on the high side.

383-17=366
366/383=0.95561357702349869451697127937337
Your RO is removing 95.6% of the TDS in your water, that's not too bad. I agree though, I would add a DI to get the rest.

Gosh Dr. Spock (I mean Reefrunner) is 0.95561357702349869451697127937337 the best estimate you can come up with? I was looking for something a little more precise! :D :D :D

Dr. Spock

Dude...Dr Spock was the baby Dr that convinced us spanking our kids was bad for them, Mr Spock was a Vulcan ;)

Hehehe, I just copied the output from the calculator and pasted it, not my fault :p

I agree that the DI should be added. However, I think your RO membrane is performing well considering the source water. Pressure and temp have a lot to do with the performance of an RO membrane too. Depending on your water pressure, adding a booster pump might improve performance. If you add a DI chamber, your TDS should be 0-1.

will diatoms go crazy with 17ppm?

Really depends on how much silicate is in the water. 17ppm is pretty darn good though. I still get diatoms in my tank and my TDS meter reads 0-1 ppm. I simple wipe them off the glass every 4th day or so.

You can't get rid of them completely no matter what you do. Maybe if the fish and inverts didn't need to eat, there would be no such thing as algae.

Back
Top Bottom