Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2005, 04:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

TDS Question

I run a 5 stage RO/DI...when I take a TDS reading in my holding can its 000ppm. Then I move the water to my mixing can and just by dumping it in there TDS jumped to 082ppm. Now i've mixed water in there before and there was some salt residue on the sides of the can when I dumped the fresh water in there. Could that be the reason the TDS jumped up? I took a reading in my main system and found a TDS of 062ppm. A friend of mine was telling me that I will get a TDS reading because of the salt but the reading in my mixing can was higher than my tank without even adding any salt yet??

Thanks,
Rich

Old 01-22-2005, 05:02 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Could that be the reason the TDS jumped up?
Yep. Having the container not be 100% free of dust/dirt will cause the TDS to increase. There is no need to take a TDS measurement of the tank as there are so many things in there that will affect TDS.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 05:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

So a good cleaning of the mixing can should be done after each use?

Rich
Old 01-22-2005, 08:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

No cleaning needed as long as your only mixing salt water in there, salt residue is fine.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 10:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
IMO if your TDS on your source water is that low, you are in great shape.
I would instead concern myself with the more basic water chems in your main. Such as PO4, nitrate, Alk, etc.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:15 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Kurt has it. If your starting water is that low then you have no need and no use of testing and knowing th TDS of the mixed water or of the Tank water.

The TDS meater is only good for testing the quality of your RO output water. Once the TDS starts to consistantly rise in the RO output you know your membranes are going bad and need replaced.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com