Tell me I didn't totally SCREW UP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueDolphin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know that when making new saltwater it should aerate for 12-24 hours. I made about 3 gallons of saltwater last night and just let it sit in the bucket (with no lid, nor any method of aerating) overnight. Would this be harmful saltwater to use now?? I added it to my QT, which already had about 7 gallons of saltwater from my main tank in it. Is the water in my QT now unsafe?! (There aren't any fish in my QT yet).

:oops:

No I am sure it is fine from it's overnight slumber. Aeration is only part of the purpose of moving the water. If you are using RO/DI water moving the water will help oxygenate it as RO water is very low in dissolved oxygen. The other reason is to allow it to mix completely to ensure the salt mixture is dissolved completely and all levels (pH, Alk, SG/sality) have become stable.

So, is it ok that I mixed it with some of the water from my main tank for use in my QT - or should I have used all water from my main?

Thanks for your replies! :)

I know your suppose to aerate it but I never do. I mix it well, let it sit overnight, mix it again and check the spg.
of course its going in my 210 gallon main so I don't worry too much about it. I have also changed my water in my qt tank with this method with no ill effects. I also keep an airstone in my qt tank, so it get aerated pretty quickly.

Thanks, quarryshark - you've set my mind at ease! (y)

One last question - when you let it sit overnight, do you put a lid on it?

Yes I cover it, loosely, to keep the dust out but let air in. I'm not saying that what I do is the correct thing. I'm just saying that it hasn't hurt anything.
I just keep forgetting to get a new airstone when I visit my lfs. :wink:
You will be fine.
You are a marine biologist? I studied (but didn't finish) marine science at Coastal Carolina College in the early 80s. Switched to business school (wish I hadn't).
Still live with the sea vicariously through my tank and my dive trips. :wink:

Yes, marine biology - I only have one more class to go and I'll be finished! I wish I would've taken more invert classes though (my main study focus is marine mammals), but I guess there's always time for that with grad school! :D

Thanks again for all your help!

I was interested(and still am) in pelagics, sharks to be specific.
Good luck to you, great career choice!!

Ahhh... quarryshark, that is my last class that I need (well, actually it's an elective) - Elasmobranch Biology! :)

BlueDolphin said:
I do indeed go to UWF. My favorite LFS here in P-Cola is Water World! :)

I go to Waterworld quite a bit. The way they setup that store up is the best I've ever seen. The only thing I dont like is how high their fish and invert prices are. For example, $39.99 for a medium size Blood (Fire) Shrimp? I went to ReefScapes and got a huge one for $29.99.

Are there any others that you can clue me in on over there?

Yes, Water World has a very nice store - they are my favorite. I did, however, visit a place called Aquaria (I think it used to be called Aquaworks) on the corner of Palafox and Texar. They are in the middle of setting up lots of new tanks, but it seems nice. I bought an absolutely beautiful piece of liverock there! :wink:

Yeah I was in there about 2 months ago and they were drilling tanks for display. I'll have to wait a bit and go back when I'm in town. When you get a chance go to Reefscapes, they are across from the Sports Academy.
Seeya

I have been in to Reefscapes as well. Actually, when I was first starting off getting my tank and equipment together I went in there and they were not very helpful at all. They seemed like they didn't even want to acknowledge that I was there. So, they happened to tell me about Water World. So, I left and never went back! :roll:

Back
Top Bottom