tempature help for a 75 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

24Shorty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am just starting in setting up a 75 gallon reef tank and can not get the tempature down! The temp in the room is 72 deg and I have left the lights off for 2 days and am still getting a reading of 78 deg or above. Help!

78-82 is considered a normal range so how high is the temp. getting with lights on? Do you have any fans to blow or pull out excess heat?

What kind of thermometer? Some can be "off", its good to compare a couple different thermometers, or try to calibrate them or get used to how they read.

If you take it out and sit it next to your thermostat in the house it should read the same.

Water temps raise and lower much slower than air, so if you temp is 80's in the day in your house for like the last couple days, then it gets cooler one day, the tank wont drop much compared to the house temp.

I have a digital and a regular aquarium thermometer in the tank. Both read the same. I was told by a local "saltwater expert" that the temp should be 76 deg. The temp in the tank is reading between 79 and 81 deg with only minimal light.

yes I have a lid. The lights are not attached to it as of yet. And additionally I will need to add more lights as the ones I've got are not enough ( so I've been told)

What you will want to do is find the highest temp the tank will achieve (assuming it is within the 78-82 range) and set your heaters to that temp. As long as you have a stable temp (you don't want anything more than a 2 degree swing) you should be good.

I have 4 fowlr tanks and all of those are doing great. I am trying to branch out into the reef tanks and have talked with the only saltwater expert in town here about them. He states that the temp should be 76 so if I have it between 78-82 I'll be ok?

I agree with Ray, stability is best...same with pH.

76 is a little on the low side for reef. 78-82 is OK, but you don't really want to go over 82 at all. A safer range would be 78-80... that leaves you some wiggle room at the top end. I have my controllers set to keep the tank 78-79 with no issues.

Is the lid a full lid completely sealing the top? If so, remove at least a portion of it. That way you'll see a reduction in your temperature as well as help increase the gas exchange between the water surface and the air.

Back
Top Bottom