Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by land locked View Post
I... I only ordered one of each kind because I did not want to make the same mistake I did with the turbo snails. Well, when I got them in today, I had quite the surprise. I think Noah, packed my snails because I got two of everything and three of one kind. I have snails coming out my ears....
For a 72g? You could easily put 20-30 snails in there from the beginning with no problem. I wouldn't worry about the extras. If they run out of food, they'll take care of their own population control.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #32
AA Team Emeritus

Yea, don't worry about the snails. They eat detritus too (left over fish food, etc).

Yes to the ATC. You need to give it about 30 seconds to adjust to room temperature to get a good reading.

That salt says it has 440ppm but I have not seen anywhere near that on a batch. I will be calling or writing them about that claim as I always have to supplement. I just mixed a batch the other day (20 gallons) and it measures around 360. I add turbo calc to boost it and occasionaly add some Epsom salt to boost Mg and baking soda for alk.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:28 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

ewwwh! Kurt, But I guess your right. I grew up on a farm, you think that would not bother me.

cmor1701d: Thanks for the info. As soon as my test kit gets here I will check the ca and mg levels.

I tried to add some pics but it said I needed to resize. How do I do that? Not a fish question but I would like you to see these.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:44 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by land locked View Post
I tried to add some pics but it said I needed to resize. How do I do that? Not a fish question but I would like you to see these.
I have a photo editing program microsoft digital image starter Download details: Digital Image Starter Edition 2006 I just open the photo with the program and select save a copy for e-mail/web then it asks what size small/med/large web view than I click save. I use the paper clip attachment button in the post and browse for that file and attach it. HTH

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:57 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks figiwigi, You can see the new member of the tank and the PIA... air bubbles. I have an O ring on order for the pump. I have more rock coming tomorrow the curing tank is up and ready to go. It looks a little barren right now. Now that I can post pics I have a couple things I need to post in the identify thread.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2008, 11:40 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

for some reason I can't see those photo's

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
Old 04-10-2008, 12:51 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hope this works!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4090157.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	13174   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4090168.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	13175  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P4090156.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	13176  
Old 04-10-2008, 01:57 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those photo's worked very nice looking tank. Definately could use some more live rock. Also I don't see a powerhead is there one in there?

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
Old 04-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, I do have a powerhead it is a Koralia 1 in the right back corner. I put it there because the mag flow in not in the center it is off the to left, and that is where the flow void was. The way I have if figured it: Little Giant 700gph, and Koralia 1 400 gph, That is just at 15.2 gph circulation. AA folks suggested 10-20 gph times the tank size was best in a reef tank. Does that sound right to you? About 30 more gallons below in DIY sump and refugium water. With a smaller pump to pump into the refugium and then of course a skimmer pump (mag 5) I do not know if those count in the whole movement picture or not.

The rock: Because we went 300+ miles to get it we took rubbermaid totes, and totally underestimated the amount of rock we would need (plus I did not realize the cost, $7.99 # and it was not quite done curing). Once we got back home we realized it looked like a drop in the bucket so we went to Petco here and all they had was fist sized rocks. They would have looked silly. So I ordered 30 more pounds of figi large show rock and some rubble from Dr. Foster and Smith, supposed to be here today but we have a nasty little spring storm going on with a couple inches of snow on the ground this morning. I hope it makes it. I may even order more after I see how much that fills the tank.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:58 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your flow sounds about right. Personally I like more toward the 20x turnover figure. On my 46g tank I have a mag7 (700gph) after head hieght only about 450gph on the return. Then 2 hydor koralia 2's pointed at each other and at the surface for ripple. The hydor koralia flow ratings are underrated IMO. Skimmer flow doesn't count. So you have a sump and seperate refugium with a pump that pumps water from the sump to the fuge is that right? Do you have liverock rubble and lighting for the fuge? Do you have Macroalgae in there?

FijiWigi_Tank_photos

Tags
temperature

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com