Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-10-2008, 10:49 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
Looks like your tank is coming along nicely landlocked. 300+ miles for LR!?? Ugh...you must want it really badly. I bet shipping on all that rock is killing you.

Anyway, I'm not a saltie but just wanted to pop in to tell you that you seem to be doing fine, and your tank looks great, nice pics!

Thank you so much for all your help. I'm back into the hobby with a new vigor!

pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:05 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by land locked View Post
... The way I have if figured it: Little Giant 700gph, and Koralia 1 400 gph, That is just at 15.2 gph circulation. AA folks suggested 10-20 gph times the tank size was best in a reef tank.
The only thing wrong is that I'm assuming the 700gph out of the Little Giant is the rating of the pump, correct? That rating assumes no head. Head is the height that the pump has to lift the water from the sump back into the tank. The more the head height is, the less the pump puts out in gallons per hour. So 700 gph is what you'd get if the output was coming straight out of the pump. You're probably running much less. If the pump came with a head/flow chart, you can figure out what that flow is.

For a 75g tank, I'd be guessing you could use two Koralia 2, or even probably two Koralia 3 in each corner of the tank. That wouldn't be too much flow. The Koralia flow rating are a little deceptive because the flow coming out of it is so much more dispersed and wider than say a MaxiJet. That 400gph flow coming out of the Koralia 1, in my opinion, is equivalent to maybe the flow coming out of a Maxijet 400 or 600... which is around 100gph.

But it's nothing to worry about. Adding flow later on is an easy thing. Once you start adding corals, my bet is you'll adjust your flow (quantity and direction) several times, so you'll have plenty of opportunity for change in the future!

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:09 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Freak
I looked it up and at 6' of head it rates 590gph so I will definitely be getting more flow in there when I get coral. I wanted to buy a larger powerhead but they did not have one, so I will just get a bigger one later. You are right thanks for pointing that out.

land locked is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com