temperature too high, 88 degrees!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vwgolf0660

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm cycling my eclipse six with several turbo snails, a camel shrimp, and 3 lbs of live rocks. Lighting is a Power-Glo 8 watts bulb. The water temp reaches up to 88 at high point of the day without the heater turned on. Is there anyway to reduce the temperature?

Is the tank located near a window or a vent?

If not, you could probably get a small fan to blow on it.

Cycling a tank with inverts and it getting up to 88 degrees is a disaster waiting to happen, IMO remove the inverts and finish out the cycle with a raw shrimp and as far as the temp goes is it in a window or a non air conditioned room? 88 degrees is very high and if it's cooling down at night thats a massive temp swing for a 24 hour period. Need more info on the tank set up but a fan would certainly help but I dont think it's going to solve the problem.

what other info do you need? and the tank is not located by the window. and its in a normail air conditioned room.

What is adding the heat to the water? Lights?

How cool does it get at the coolest point? We need to figure out where the heat is coming from...

the temperature is still around 88 with the lights turned off for 24 hours...is this normal during the cycling period?

vwgolf0660 said:
the temperature is still around 88 with the lights turned off for 24 hours...is this normal during the cycling period?

What is the temperature of the room?

If the water is significantly warmer than the temperature of the room, something must be adding a large amount of heat to the water. If the lights are off, I would think it would take quite a bit to heat the water to 16 degrees above normal room temperature. What do you have that is adding that much heat???

Are you sure your thermometer is functioning properly?

Back
Top Bottom