Okay, so, next week I will be getting my sand from Big Al's. I am getting ready to start my 55 gallon tank. I need some opinions. Here is a list of the equipment I have:
1. 220 Watts PC
2. Aqua C remora w/ maxijet
3. El Cheap-O Wal-mart HOB
filter(it says 30-60 gal
); will be used for water circulation
4. Two maxi-jet 600 Powerheads
5. Undecided on Heaters as of now.
6. I could only afford 60 lbs of sand for now. Could I, or would I be able to add some more sand to get to a DSB
as I go?
7. I will be ordering live rock from LR
.com or Etropicals, about 30-40 lbs is what I will be able to afford. I have ordered 30 lbs of base rock from hirocks.
8. 200 gal
mix of IO
9. floating type hydrometer along with a swing arm type; I know, I know- refractometer is the way to go, but I already bought those two before I knew better, so it will have to wait a few months. I have read good things about the floating type, so I will probably stick with it.
10. I will be getting a rubbermaid tub to mix saltwater. I have an old heater and a couple powerheads to mix. I am thinking an SG
11. I do have test kits, not seachem, but I use the ones I have for now.
12. I have glass tops. I have read good and bad things about using them. I am leaning towards not using them.
13. Once tank cycles (using LR
to do that), I will probably add two clown fish once they are out of QT for a month or two.
14. After about the third month, I may add another fish, undecided on what though.
15. After the fourth month, I want to try some mushrooms and such.
16. After sixth month, I may try my hand at a coral. I will have to get more test kits though.
Sorry about the length of this post, but I don't want to mess this up more than I have to. Please comment on what I have and don't need or don't have. I am not for sure if the HOB
filter is needed or not.
This site has saved me a bunch of money and I would like to thank everyone for your answers and maybe someday I will be able to help someone out.