Terrance's 46g Sumpless Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terrance

Aquarium Advice Addict
Please post any suggestions. This is my first saltwater tank.

Current inventory:
2x Koralia 750gph circulation pump
25lbs sand
50lbs base rocks
46g bowfront tank + stand
Aqueon 200w heater

Current inventory for mixing:
Hydrometer (need upgrade to refractometer)
Marineland Visi-therm 200w heater
2x rubbermaid 32g trashcan
Aquaclear 70 powerhead
salt mx (enough to mix 200g of water)

Adding: Algae scrubber (cheaper than buying a HOB skimmer)

Lighting: Have not added lighting yet, its to be built during the cycle

img_2109145_0_d86195a23372b2a79d0ae8c37500fca5.jpg

img_2109145_1_c7a295793d4f761fa73dbe62ea13ac0b.jpg

I am about to start cycling today. Rockscape seem appropriate? No SPS for me. Mushrooms, polyps, and LPS will be my starting point.

Hi Terrance,

Cool build! Looks good. Aquascape is nice too. My only suggestion would to build it up agains the back wall more. Eventually youll figure out that you need a TON of placement for corals. Right now you have some, but not a lot. Its coming together nicely though.

Whats the stock as far as fish?

I'm not really sure about fish. No puffer for this tank, which seems very strange for me. Perhaps a o. clown, watchman goby with shrimp combo, purple firefish, and perhaps a sixline wrasse.

Is the goby&shrimp combo good idea for this small reef tank?

edit: I stacked the rocks close the back wall, but how close should it be? I'm concerned about stacking it too close and then I'm unable to reach for anything that may fall back there. I think there is ~2-3" between the wall and the rocks.

Terrance said:
I'm not really sure about fish. No puffer for this tank, which seems very strange for me. Perhaps a o. clown, watchman goby with shrimp combo, purple firefish, and perhaps a sixline wrasse.

Is the goby&shrimp combo good idea for this small reef tank?

edit: I stacked the rocks close the back wall, but how close should it be? I'm concerned about stacking it too close and then I'm unable to reach for anything that may fall back there. I think there is ~2-3" between the wall and the rocks.

Ahah i was wondering if we'd have a puffer in this one!

That would work well. And would be very cool

Yes just enough for your hand i guess. If somthing does happen to fall, you could always use a stick or somthing to slide it out. But ya, youll have more coral placement now:)

I'm on a budget and forget to post most of the time. Here is where I'm at:

Start date July 2012.
Expected finish early 2013.

Current inventory:
2x Koralia Evolution 750gph circulation pump
Hydor Smart Wave Pump Controller (creates random flow)
20lbs sand
50lbs base rocks
46g bowfront tank + manufacturer stand
Aqueon Pro 200w heater
Red Sea No3, P, Cal, Mag, Alk test kits
Refractometer and backup Hydrometer
Mag float glass cleaner
Traditional thermometer
Reefbreeder Value LED fixture
DIY hanging kit
Tunze auto top off
5g reservoir (bucket with lid)
Kalkwasser (inside ATO) and magnesium
Reef Octopus BH 2000 skimmer

Livestock:
($7) Peppermint shrimp
Kryptonite coral
Maroon Trumpet coral

Mixing Station:
2x rubbermaid 32g trashcan
Aquaclear 50 powerhead
Marineland Visi-therm 200w heater
Thermometer
24' Flexible tubing
Reef salt mix
BRS RO/DI unit 75gpd plus

I changed my mind about the ATS. I don't want to build one anymore. I'm too busy for it. I'll go with the tradition skimmer and refugium method. I'll just hook up the deep red and royal blue LEDs to the refugium. Sometimes in the near future.

I'm keeping coral only until they start growing.

Anyways, here is my water parameters:
Alk 10.6
Ca 400
Magnesium 1200

I have an ATO with kalkwasser at the bottom. Any feedback on my numbers?? Those are acceptable numbers when I looked it up. I already have some candy cane corals. My API is not reliable on pH, but its says 7.8. I don't believe it.

How does my corals look so far? I have no idea. They have been in the tank for the past few days.

img_2276128_0_07dacc27aae22cf4aa74ee97a10844e4.jpg

img_2276128_1_2edc36cbb71ba58defa4aa6d4d10906a.jpg

img_2276128_2_72da4f6e14a82c35305ae33b405245c8.jpg

img_2276128_3_7cc340308db83b69cd5ca70a33d6ad86.jpg

img_2276128_4_d6d50aec41eab5ba857f5fc53f0a8d02.jpg

How do you like that LED fixture over the 46G bow? I have a 36G bow with a similar center brace and am considering the Reefbreeders options. Did you get a 16" or 24" fixture? The center brace worries me & makes me consider fixtures that don't have bulbs in the center. Not really a problem?

Thanks,
D

I wanted to replace the center brace with acrylic, but it was too late to replace it by the time I got the reefbreeders light. My tank was already up and running and I didn't really feel like replacing the center brace after all that. The pics posted shows the reefbreeder (16") version hanging right over the center brace. Notice that there is no shadow. I think it works just fine over the center brace. Without the center brace, its definitely brighter in the center. If you were to get the 16" fixture your 36", then get some optics (I think it comes with the 90 degree optics option for additional cost). edit: optics not too important for a 36g, but it will help reduce the amount of light spill outside your tank.

I'll post more about this fixture on the reefbreeders thread this upcoming weekends. You'll definately see it. I've been too busy working and studying and looking for corals from local hobbyists :p

Thanks! Yeah, Logan told me 90deg optics and not to worry about shadows. I just can't decide between the 16" & 24" controllable versions. 24" actually has 4 fewer emitters but would cover a larger area. (My 36G bow is 30" long.) Price difference is minimal.
Funny, I'd considered swapping in an acrylic patch for the center brace too. Is it a common practice?

- D

Yeah its common more in the saltwater game. I wish tank manufacturers would make the center brace clear. There are many DIY center braces out there. You can also see many youtube videos. I think you should DIY a clear brace if you are able to. Its actually blocking out a lot of light and i hate the idea of wasted light along the center. It makes me want to upgrade to a bigger cube tank.

Back
Top Bottom