Test kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dbrown4u

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looking to buy a test kit that people recommend, i see people all the time saying they cant read some of the numbers, so I'd like to get one that I can read and depend on, but also one that's not gonna break the bank

i sue API liquid tests for the basics: ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. When i wan a more accurate test iuse salifert for : calcium, magnesium, alkalinity, phosphates and nitrates. Salifert doesnt sell a complete kit so its single kits only. Elos does also make make some very reputable kits as well. Again, a little more pricey than API but worht it when you need an "exact" reading

I also recently invested in an electronic phosphate meter, which I love to death,. I would like to switch over to their whole line eventually. here is the link for it. Only thing is you still have to buy reagents for them so it comes out to the same price pretty much as a salifert or elos test kit.

Hanna Instruments Checker Colorimeter

If you drop down the menu you can see the other tests that come just like it. My next one will be alkalinity or calcium I havent decided yet. :)

I would use api for basics. I use seachem for calcium. Elos for mg. Salifert for alk/kh. I choose these because they are easy to use and read.

Okay, I'll see how much my lfs has the salifert, API, or elos for, those electronic ones are pretty awesome but way out of my price range to buy each individual one lol

Dbrown4u said:
Okay, I'll see how much my lfs has the salifert, API, or elos for, those electronic ones are pretty awesome but way out of my price range to buy each individual one lol

You can't go wrong with api test kits

Carey, I also saw those Hanna checkers...they look great, and I think if we mention them to our significant others they would make great "stocking stuffers" at 50 bucks a pop...lol. I'm really considering getting a few for when I have my reef set up.

BfishLpond78 said:
Carey, I also saw those Hanna checkers...they look great, and I think if we mention them to our significant others they would make great "stocking stuffers" at 50 bucks a pop...lol. I'm really considering getting a few for when I have my reef set up.

I love mine. Wish I could get the others lol. Maybe for xmas. :)

Carey, if you get the chance, go to bluezooaquatics.com and check out their electronic test kit, it's really cool lol

I'm feeling disappointed in my API right now. My nitrate test kit is reading exceptionally high--like seven to ten times the correct amount. It's frustrating because they aren't expired and I follow the directions. I'm looking into some other options too.

Back
Top Bottom