Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2003, 05:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Test Kits

Ok all,
I want to know which test kit's are the best. I'm not concerned with price so much as the quality. I prefer a master kit that does all the test's (and I mean all of them!) hopefully I won't have to buy a bunch of kits, but I'd rather have something that doesn't take a day and a half to complete.

What kit's are the best kit's? Tim.

If possible which ones come as a complete set?

ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 06:41 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
As in complete I suspect your talking about
  • Ammonia
    Nitrite
    Nitrate
    PH
    Phosphate
    Alkinity
    Calcium
    Copper
    Salinity
    Temp

Thats about all of the popular tests. There are soem other tests that are less popular like Magnesium and Strodium (sp?)

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 06:54 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
During cycling you'll want Amonia and Nitrite. After you tank is cycled I'd say you can't live without Calcium, Alkalinity, Nitrate and pH. Use a glass floating hydrometer (sheaper) to check specific gravity (temperature dependant) or a refractometer (more expensive) to check your salinity (not affected by temperature). You'll want a good quality glass thermometer.
You will probably save money by buying only the kits you need. You will save a few bucks by buying a Tetra Laborette http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=573. Here it's only $17. I used it when I was starting out, it is pretty good. pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and hardness (Alkalinity). It also comes with a FW hardness test that you won't need.
I like TropicMarin Ca test. High quality.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:10 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Best...is really a subjective term. If I were going for a high end master test kit, I'd probably go with Lamotte Master kit and a pinpoint ph monitor. The Lamotte kit will probably run a couple hundred dollars and change and your looking at about 80-100 for the monitor. For my needs Salifert works fine.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 07:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
I just don't like the one I got, Seatest dry chemical shake for a minute wait ten, wait20 min and all that. I'd love a PH moniter but that particular test is the simplist to test. what about one for amonia, thats the longest test. Why is Lamotte so expencive and were can I find Info? is the Salifert test the kind that has liqiud drops? Does it take as long as mine?

PH
Amonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Calcium
Phosephates
Copper
Alkylinity
Iodine

Is all that the max people test for?

Also are Mag drive pumps good pumps? Tim
Old 02-28-2003, 11:17 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
You missed my suggestion for tetra's Laborette. Cheap kit (used to be pricey). All liquid reagents, very easy to use, good color changes. Spend big bucks if you want but I've used this kit, it's pretty good.
You don't need a test for Iodide unless you dose it. Ditto for copper.
Phosphate test is debatable.

Mag drive pumps are excellent.
Old 03-01-2003, 12:20 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I like seachem test kits. Less complex than the fasttest kits that I used before and also more accurate of a scale.

Tim have you looked at our product reviews? We have a section for test kits and I know a few differnt kits have been member reviewed in the past in there.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:16 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Were do I find the product review page? Tim. 8O
Old 03-01-2003, 09:44 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

On the front page and on the bottom or top of every page (depends on what style your using) you will see a link to them.

Old 03-02-2003, 11:24 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

i use fastest it seems to work ok but wish it was a little easier though.

150lb live rock
4in DSB
MH light 175watt 10000k x2
4 power heads 660
reefdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
test, test kits

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com