Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-02-2003, 04:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Test Kits

Just curious to see what test kits everyone prefers for testing alkalinity.I have tried fastest and salifert but it seems that the test results come out different between these two and im not sure where i should be at.I have a 55 gal reef and with fastest my alk tests out at around 3.75 meq/l.When i use salifert im at 4.57meq/l.Im not sure if i using the salifert kit the right way.There is a big air bubble in the syringe but it says it should be there.My ph is running about 8.2.Also could someone tell me the correct range for alkilinity in the tank?Thanks a lot

Old 07-02-2003, 04:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just ordered my salifert tests today & never used them before but I have been told that salifert is the most reliable test around.

-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Compaired to men....whatever women do must be done twice as hard to be thought of half as good.
swishyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 05:08 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I use salifert, which I have tested with a standard and found it to be right on the money, when testing my FastTest kit, it did not do as well.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 06:18 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I use seachem kits.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 11:56 PM   #5
steve-s

Re: Test Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksview
I have a 55 gal reef and with fastest my alk tests out at around 3.75 meq/l.When i use salifert im at 4.57meq/l.Im not sure if i using the salifert kit the right way.There is a big air bubble in the syringe but it says it should be there.My ph is running about 8.2.Also could someone tell me the correct range for alkilinity in the tank?Thanks a lot
Where to maintain the alkalinity of the tank is a bit of a toss up. It really depends on what is in the tank. NSW is anywhere between 1.5-3 mEq/l. However many find that keeping the alk between 3-4 mEq/l is much more benificial to the overall health of the tank and less ceseptible (sp?) to swings in PH.

When maintaining alkalinity it is very important to balance the level against calcium. The two are very much linked together and control each other. If you have performed the Salifert test correctly and the alk is 4.57, I would allow that to drop a bit. Closer to 4 would be fine. The balanced amount of Ca would be slightly higher at about 425-440ppm.

Here is a great and easy to understand article...

BTW, I only use Salifert. I find it the most reliable and easy to use without setting up the chem lab..

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-03-2003, 01:13 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I've used the Salifert and Seachem tests. I get different results also. I think the Seachem is easier to use. I just got the Salifert kit so I haven't had a chance to check them both with the reference sample. My alk runs 4.5-5.0 meq/l and my calcium is usually, if I haven't been slacking, 450-500 ppm (Red Sea Calcium Pro and Hagen kits).
Old 07-03-2003, 01:17 AM   #7

Quote:
My alk runs 4.5-5.0 meq/l and my calcium is usually, if I haven't been slacking, 450-500 ppm
This is my exact senario here also..

Tags
test, test kits

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com