Test kits for reef tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfreak1

Aquarium Advice Freak
What test kits would you recommend for a 100 gallon reef tank. My $ limit for all test kits needed is $100

Which ones do I need (for example: ammonia nitrate nitrite) and would it go under $100

Ammonia. Ph, nitrite, nitrate, calcium, phosphate

I would be the API saltwater kit, Red Sea algae kit (nitrate/phosphate) and the Red Sea reef foundation kit. Those will run about 100 and start you off. Don't use the API trate test, i have found it not accurate.

Good luck

I heard I need alkalinity and some other stuff and i heard that API brand tests suck for saltwater tanks and are inaccurate

I'm asking for a complete set that's needed for reef tanks nothing from API and that will run me 100 or below but I want not a starter but almost everything so at least 9/10 things needed for it.

I bought a red sea master kit at petco a little while back for $50, but didn't have phosphate or calcium in it. Was just ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alkalinity. Last couple times I went in there, they didn't have that master kit, though.

I think I'm going to buy all Red Sea kits and whatever is left ill buy from salifert or is there another good company

So far just for the Red Sea kits its $140 for me and I still need ph ammonia and copper and one more thing. So about $180 for all kits

The tank is going to be a 100 gallon reef tank filled with different corals (sps Lps soft anemones)
So basically I'm getting Red Sea test kits
Nitrate and phosphate $38
Iodine, potassium, iron $66
Alkalinity, magnesium, calcium $44
I'm also getting a refractometer for $50

Salifert
Nitrite $16
Ammonia $18
Ph $13
Copper $15 (do I need it)

And do I need
Silica $20
Dissolved oxygen

Start with the basics till your cycled.

Ammonia
Ph
Nitrate
Nitrite/phosphate (cheaper in the combo from Red Sea than separate)

Then...

Calcium
Alk
Mag

Then the others

You only need the copper if you are treating for iCh with copper meds. The API is fine for this. I have it and use it

I haven't seen anyone here give oxygen results, pass for now.

Hope this helps and can spread the cost out a bit.

The ones that are next to each other are the combos
Should I pass on silica or silicate ? If that's it ill just get all the others at once so I wouldn't have to worry because my nearest lfs doesn't have Red Sea and the one that does us over 1 hour away. So I'm going to order from dr foster smith pet supplies.

They are both very good. I use the Red Sea and it seems easier to,use. I just got the combo kit with the calcium today and it was super easy and accurate. The titration thing is very cool.

Also, was talking to Francis from fish tank kings at my Lfs today and he mentioned that the tropic Marin kits are good and what he uses. I might get that for ammonia and ph when I am finished the API ones I have now.

For the price, the Red Sea is the way to go.

Unless you have an issue with silicates, skip them.

Also, skip the copper till you need it. You will be picking up copper meds and can get the test kit at the same time. I do however recommend a QT tank. I learned the hard way and have a 200.00 Australian tusk I am currently treating for iCh ?

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom