Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-18-2005, 10:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to Feron Send a message via Yahoo to Feron
Test kits/probes

Hi again everyone!

Well, I've gotten the ole 90g full and to the proper salinity (refractometer says so anyhow) and every I've conducted test show's normal levels of ammonia/ph (there's really nothing in the tank atm cept water and salt and a couple pieces of base rock - LR to come sometime in the next week or so depending on availability and the holidays).

My question (this time!) is about test kits.
Am I the only one that finds these colored droplets and test tubes...archaic?
I can see their cost effectiveness vs a lab type of piece of machinery, but it just seems to me they could lend to innaccuracy.
Are there reliable mechanical (and somewhat reasonably priced) method to test ammonia, nitrates and nitrites?
I've found a decently priced pH probe (I have an aquatronica controller, so I will probably get the probe for that since I can control a release mechanism for adding a buffer if needs be), but nothing for ammonia.

And if there arn't any sort of gizmos for a consumer level, what's the BEST test kit one can get, that gives the most accurate and consistent results?

Just wanna do this right and catch problems before they get out of hand.

Thanks as always,

Feron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
For ammonia, there's a little sticker you can put on the inside of the glass that color changes based on the free ammonia levels. Not more accurate by any means, but less "archaic".

SeaTest and Salifert seem popular for chemical test kits. LaMotte is the really high end stuff.

After your start-up period, ammonia should always be 0, so unless it's hooked up to an alarm system, I don't see the purpose of constant monitoring of it.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
I wouldn't worry about testing ammonia and nitrite past the cycle. Other tests can only be done with various chemical reactions or titrations (such as Alk and Ca tests).
55g reef, 2x250W 10k MH + 2x96W PC actninc, 10g sump, AquaC Urchin skimmer, 65lbs LR

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Regular ammonia testing can be useful when treating a disease in the QT with antibiotics, or right after making a major change to the aquarium.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote

probes, test, test kits

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com