Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2006, 05:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to stevefromga2000
test results are in and...

i just wanted to see what i can do to change some test levels in my tank. just ran a test and this is what i have

salinity - 1.021
pH - 8.2 to 8.4
ammonia - 0.50
nitrate - 80-160 (really high and i need some help here)
nitrate - 0

i just wanted to know what was better and what was worse and also any ideas to help fix anything that is wrong. i know my nitrates are really really high, but how do i go about lowering them?

Old 10-23-2006, 05:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Salinity: low side, I'd recommend running at 1.026 for most tanks. Change this slowly if you decide to.
pH: Good
Ammonia: Unless the tank is cycling there should be no detectable ammonia
Nitrate: Through the roof Would be "ok" for fish only tanks, but not much else.

Methods for nitrate reduction include water changes (dilution, as long as you're using pure water without nitrates), lighted refugium with macro-algaes such as caulpera and chaeto, deep sand beds, clams (they do reduce nitrates, but I wouldn't introduce them into an immature system), and sulfur denitrators.

What is in your tank right now?

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

right now i am working on getting some sand. i live in japan, so my resources are limited to me. most places won't ship here to me, so i have to take what i can find in the LFS here. because of where in japan i am located, there is only one LFS around, so you can only imagine what i don't get to choose from.

i do the water changes at least every other week, but i used to do them every week before i got my skimmer. i could go back.

also, i heard that there are parts in a canister filter that can create high nitrates? which parts? i currently have a canister filter, but i haven't opened it because i thought that there was beneficial bacteria inside it and i didn't want to get rid of that.

all i have is some live rock, some chromis, and a banded shrimp. i've been working with a small budget, so i can only get so much at a time. like i said, the sand is next on my list, it will be a total of 60lbs of the aragonite sand. i was told that when i switch my CC to the sand, then my critters will all move over, and plus it will help with nitrates, correct?

will a higher lighting source help any? is there any other equipment that will make a difference? what about more live rock (which i plan on already, just trying to make priorities)?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:37 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
It sounds like you may have had a death or a mini cycle, due to the ammonia. I would work on getting that down immediately, otherwise you could have some deaths. I found the sponges and media (carbon packs) held a lot of nitrAtes. Did you do anything with the substrate, like shuffle it or stir it? I am just wondering where the ammonia came from.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:51 AM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

How much LR do you have now? The ammonia problem is eventually turning into the nitrate problem. How often are you feeding? Need to feed every other day and PWC`s are needed right now to help lower the nitrates as Theatrus said. I dont have a canister but Roka64`s suggestions would be a good place to look also.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would suggest doin PWCs every 2 or 3 days, maybe 10%, till trates are under control, then switch to a regular weekly PWC of 10-15%. Thye mentioned parts of a canniseter filter are often removed, let the live rock handle the biological filtration, the filter can do some mechanical. Are you cleaning out the cup in the skimmer? That may be acting like a nitrate factory. Obviously, your tank appears to be cycled, but if your trates get too high and for too long, you can and will kill most of the organisms on the live rock, and destroy any work done by cycling.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

actually, i did just have a fish die. that may explain the ammonia, but now how do i get that lowered?

right now, i have about 25 to 30 lbs of LR, and i keep getting more. that's why i haven't got any more fish, not until i have at least 40 lbs.

i clean my skimmer out about once a week, that's what i've read i should do.

i will start doing PWC more often, and closely moniter my nitrates to see if they lower or not. i will also look through my canister and try to remove the sponges. also, would it be better off to just get a different filter all together? if so, is there a certain kind that i should look for, or could it be any kind of filter?
Old 10-23-2006, 09:05 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

You can lower them via PWCs. As for removing the sponges, how many do you have? I had 4 in mine. I removed 2, waited a week and removed the other two. I would say, if the filter is working, then don't waste any money on a new one, especially if you have enough or will be adding LR for biofiltration, relatively soon.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 10-24-2006, 08:52 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

okay, i did a PWC, and also i cleaned out my skimmer. i went to open up my canister filter, and stupid me, i had a bunch of water start to leak out. the problem is that the directions for the filter are completley in japanese. another thing, i have no previous experience with canister filters, so i need some help on what to do to clean it out. any suggestions at all would be useful, no matter how simple.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:38 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

The way I clean mine is.
1. Dump out old water.
2. Clean intake/output/impeller (I use a new toothbrush to clean) in FW.
3. Rince the media in the old SW (so I don't kill the beneficial bacteria).
4. Reassemble, let it prime and let it roll.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Tags
test, test results

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com