Test results help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ewatson249

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm new to sw and would appreciate some feedback on my test results. I'm used to cycling fw tanks so have the basic knowledge although these results have confused me a bit. I'm using NT labs test kit (not sure how good they are). My tank has been running exactly one week and I used all live rock (14 kgs) and sand. LR was out of water less than an hour. Results as follows:

14th- filled tank.
15th- ammonia - 0
No2. 0
No3. 5
Ph. 7.8
Kh. 213ppm
No4. 0

17th- ammonia. 0
No2. 0
No3. 2.5
Ph. 8.0
No4. 0

21st- ammonia. 0
No2. 0
No3. 0.25

Now in a week I am a little unsure on 1. How come No3 is so high on day 2?

2. How come No3 has reduced over the week when I have done no water changes and am only running carbon?

3. Why no ammonia from die off?

4. Has the basic cycle finished due to LR and LS being so established?

5. Have I just got a rubbish test kit!

Any other help and suggestions would be great.

Oh yeah.... Nice to meet you all!

Your LR could of had a good bacteria colony so thats why it went through the cycle fast, but I'm not sure why your nitrate decreased. If you want to be sure your tank is cycled, dose it with some ammonia to reach 1ppm and if theres no ammonia and nitrite tomorrow, your cycled.

I spoke to the LFS I got the rick from and they seem to think that not many people see a cycle with their rock so hopefully that will be the case. I had a look for some ammonia but could not find it without perfume of other additions. I'll give it another week and think about adding some cuc if conditions are still ok. Anyone think this is ok?

if you cant find any ammonia add a small uncooked shrimp

I've cycled a few sw tanks using LR and always saw at least a modest ammonia reading. The nitrites are another story, just cycled a tank and it seemed to skip from ammonia to nitrates.

I would try the raw shrimp method to be sure. Just wanna make certain you have enough bacteria to support some critters.
:-D

Back
Top Bottom