Testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mpolizzano

Aquarium Advice Regular
Tested tonight. 5 weeks. Just added 2 pj cardinals 2 emerald crabs 20 turbos and 20 blue leg hermits yesterday. Results:
Temp-78
Salinity-1.026
Ph-7.8
Ammonia-0ppm
Nitrite-0ppm
Nitrate-40ppm
Attached is a picture. Ammonia color looks a tad darker than it really is. It's 0. Feedback on nitrates? Too high? Advice?

image-1915371808.jpg

Do you have surface agitation from power heads or a return? that can help bring up your ph.
As far as the 40 nitrates i would do a decent size water change to get them down. Once you let the nitrates get a foot hold youre doomed LOL. Just keep up on them to keep them low. I run 0 nitrates in some of my tanks so it can be done. :)

Yes I have surface movement via return. Any other way to get my PH up from 7.8 or can I keep it there?
Also I am going to do a water change next week. So you think that will bring them down completely? Or can i run the tank at 10ppm? I do not have a skimmer. What else can I do to get my nitrates down?

Best way hands down, algae turf scrubber you will have zero nitrates and phosphates. Also your ph will read diff depending on what time of day you take the test an nitrates will lower your ph since it is a acid so lower your nitrates and you should see a rise in ph

When are you testing? The ph is lowest after the lights go out I believe. I would recommend some power heads as well, it will only help your tank. It keeps the water circulated around your live rock and makes your biological filtration stronger in my opinion not to mention the benefit of more surface movement.

Frequent weekly water changes are the key to keeping low nitrates. also not overstocking and overfeeding. These are the key contributors of nitrates.

Did you do the large water change after you finished your cycle? if you did a 50% water change next week your trates would still be 20. And thats if they don't rise between now and then.

Algae turf scrubber? What's that? Lol. What does it do? Do you think my Ph will go up if my nitrates go down? Really?

No I havent done a water change yet. So I'm guessing until I do that I can't really say if my nitrates are too high because right now they should be from the ammonia to nitrite to nitrate? My circulation is good. 2 750 powerheads and 2 returns. 1 is 600 and other is 300.

I'm testing at 8:45 pm with moonlights on. Just after the blue lights go out at 8:00 pm.

You really should have done a water change right after cycling that way you would be starting off with a clean slate. i would get on a water change soon as you can, maybe do two next week and try to get the trates down to like 10 ish.

Try testing the ph mid day and see if you have a better reading.

Ok 2 changes next week and I'll check PH during mid day tomorrow. Thanks. I'll post with feedback.

Ok so I tested again tonight. Day 37. I HAVE NITRITE!!! Noooooooo! How? Over feeding?

Ph 7.8
Amm 0
Nitrite .25ppm
Nitrate 40 ppm
Salinity 1.026

Someone help!!! Fish seem fine. But I am worried.

Back
Top Bottom