Testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissajk

Aquarium Advice Freak
What level should the calcium, magnesium and alk be in a reef tank?
I tested mine tonight
Calcium 350
Magnesium 1200
Alk 4.5
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ill give you what i read and what is recommended you are pretty close on your numbers though so maybe do more frequent water changes that should replenish anything that's low

380-450 ppm calcium
1250-1350 ppm Magnesium
alk 2.5-4 meq/L
7-11 dKH

So I did a water change 10 gallons 4 days ago. I have a 50 gallon tank. My LFS said that the alk was way to low and I should supplement all three. I just got a green bubble tip anemone and it hasn't opend up. The LFS said maybe because my numbers are to low. Do you agree w5that?

Is that alk measured in dKh or meq? If dKh then yes that's extremely low. All your corals would be dying if it was that low. Your calcium and mag are kinda low as well. What salt do you use?

It is measured in dkh. I buy salt at the lfs, it is mixed. I have a zoa and a mushroom. Their color is not so great. Also I have 2 kenya trees they look okay. I dosed my tank last night as my lfs told me to. I will call it tonight. Also do you think I should be doing weekly water changes? I have only been doing 5 gallon weekly. I did 10 gallons last week because my lfs said that is what I should be doing. I have 3 lfs that I go to. Two says weekly water change and the other says monthly. I'm thinking weekly is better.

Attachments

• 1396364547374.jpg
    1396364547374.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 1396364567935.jpg
    1396364567935.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 75
Kenya tree

Attachments

• 1396365269656.jpg
    1396365269656.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 1396365290573.jpg
    1396365290573.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 84
Don't dose, you don't need to. It sounds like your lfs is using cheap salt, IMO it's best to get your own salt and mix it yourself. I would also recommend you not take lfs advice, most are just looking to make a sale and they make most of they're money off additives. If you have a question or want to check on what they tell you come on here and ask. No one here is trying to make any money off you, and has no reason to mislead you.

How many gallon water change do you recommend? What type of salt mix do you recommend. I already bought the additives. Should I keep them as a back up?

I do 25% changes, and really any reef grade salt will give you what you need. I use Red Sea coral pro because I like it's high element levels, and a lot of people use reef crystals which is usually on sale somewhere and sold at most chain per stores. Keeping the additives is up to you, but you won't need to dose anything until you have a rather large stony coral load, dosing when it's not needed can lead to a lot of problems

Yeah I do 25% weekly with reef crystals and dont dose. I used to dose when I used regular instant ocean but with reef crystals there is no need

Thanks, I will do my research. I don't have a ro/di system. If I mix my own water I can buy the ro/di I at the lfs then mix. Do you mix in a large clean trash container?

What size tank? You can buy ro from a store but I would get a tds meter to test it because stores will usually push the filters a little to far. Also keep an eye out for a brs unit on sale, they usually put there 75gpd units on sale every month or 2 for around $100 or so and it will eventually pay for itself between gas and buying the water

So what 15 ish gallons of water a week? Yeah that would be fine for a while but a small ro/di unit would be more cost effective in the long run. Just my $.02

You probably spend .50 a gallon right? That's 7.50 a week on wc. If you do 15 gallons every week for a year that's $390 on water. An ro/do is between $100-150. It pays for itself withing a year

You probably spend .50 a gallon right? That's 7.50 a week on wc. If you do 15 gallons every week for a year that's $390 on water. An ro/do is between $100-150. It pays for itself withing a year

Plus top offs so ~$450

I'll have to show my husband this savings. What do you mix it in. Can I mix it ahead of time.

I mix in a 5g bucket since I only change 5 gallons a week. A brute trash can works well for big wc. I mix 24 hours prior with a heater and powerhead

Back
Top Bottom