Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

"Testing" dry base rock

I posted with question on my Tank Journal - 135 FOWLR thread, but no response so here it is again.

I have 110 lbs of dry base rock, dry for quite some time, and I plan to soak it to make sure there are no decayed organisms that would cause an ammonia spike, rather than discovering this after putting into an existing tank.

So my question, stupid as it may sound, is this: would it be proper to soak the base rock in saltwater or will just freshwater be fine? Either way, it'll be RO/DI water with a powerhead and a heater.

It will just be in long enough to verify that no ammonia is thrown from it, then it's going straight into the tank.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If you are going to be testing it then you`ll need SW so the test kit will operate OK assuming this is a SW test kit. I personally would soak it in SW anyway.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
Thanx but no.....

I'd vote for salt too though what you're describing it shouldn't make a difference.. rot is rot.. get some heat in there too. I think (or always thought) that the std ammonia, nitrite and nitrate kits (at least API) work for both salt and fresh. If not. weeeelllllll then I've been doing something wrong for a long time. Inquiring minds want to know
Old 01-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

API kits have different color cards for FW vs SW for pH, Ammonia, Nitrate, Phosphate, etc, but same one for Nitrite and a few others. Salifert has only one color card for their test kits, so they must be able to test independent of salinity. Or maybe they're only for SW, I don't know. Either way, I have both FW and SW kits.

I agree, rot is rot. I'll do SW just to be on the safe side. Thanks for the input...
Old 01-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

If you have enuf rock in your tank, you should be able to add piece by piece and absorb any ammonia. What, over a week? I'd try it that way. I'd still brush it off vigorously in FW. Heck, the FW can't kill anything more.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
base, base rock, dry, rock, sting, testing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com