Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use the API and haven't noticed any inaccuracies with it like some people are saying. Usually I double test just to make sure and I also occasionally take samples to the LFS to make sure it's reading right because I hear negative things about it a lot. -seems to me, as long as you read and follow directions in the sense of shaking the solutions (I think nitrAte) that you're supposed to, for as long as you're supposed to it should read accurately.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oohitsae View Post
I use the API and haven't noticed any inaccuracies with it like some people are saying. Usually I double test just to make sure and I also occasionally take samples to the LFS to make sure it's reading right because I hear negative things about it a lot. -seems to me, as long as you read and follow directions in the sense of shaking the solutions (I think nitrAte) that you're supposed to, for as long as you're supposed to it should read accurately.
This generally works fine, but I am growing SPS corals and wish to keep phosphates below .05ppm. The color compare test kits are pretty inaccurate at these levels.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oohitsae View Post
Have you tested with other brands of test kit to know if there is an inaccuracy. And I'm guessing your lfs uses Api cause its cheap so your results would be the same. I used api for years and it always tested high like 80-100 switched to salifert and found they were actually 20 to 40.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedogz View Post
Have you tested with other brands of test kit to know if there is an inaccuracy. And I'm guessing your lfs uses Api cause its cheap so your results would be the same. I used api for years and it always tested high like 80-100 switched to salifert and found they were actually 20 to 40.
I haven't personally tested with different liquid kits but have strips which generally come out the same (though you do get an inaccurate strip her and there). My LFS does use APi occasionally, but also uses another kit though ccan't tell you off hand which it is exactly as my fiancť has been the one to bring it there the last few times. The times before that I saw the kit but can't recall te exact brand.

Tags
sting, testing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com