Testing kits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D.Schneidt

Aquarium Advice Regular
What kind of testing kits does everyone use and which ones do you like the most and have best accuracy?

Liquid test kits are the way to go. Test strips are more or less redundant (IMO). I personally have the nutrafin liqiud test centre, but i hear very good things about the API master kit. It is good to test regularly. All the best.

I have both the API Master and API Reef test kits. Actually, I have never heard GOOD things about them, but take them for what they are. Inexpensive tests.
The API Master has pH, which gives a good indication of approximate pH, Ammonia is hard to read at low levels and hard to tell if it's 0 or 0.25ppm, nitrite is fine, but that always reads 0 after the cycle, and Nitrate. Ohh, nitrate! There is also a nitrate test in the Reef kit, and I have used both at times for comparison. Huge different readings on the same test. Exp dates are only 1 month apart too. Junk.
For the Reef, I have yet to compare with a higher quality test, but my new SeaChem tests should be here by the end of the week and I plan on comparing pH, Alk, Calcium. I gave up on the Phosphate test as it always read 0 or .25 and I would do 2 tests back to back with different results. Opened a new Hanna checker for phosphate and very happy with that.

Result:
I will continue to use the Master kit for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates as my system keeps all those at 0 (confirmed by LFS) and I only need to watch for changes from that.
I will NOT use the Reef kit and will be using the SeaChem tests for things that MATTER, including pH and Alk (1 test), Calcium as well as less critical tests like Silicate and Iodine. My magnesium test is a seperate test, but I can't remember the brand.
Order online and save a ton of money.

Color chart tests are inaccurate but close enough. I use api saltwater to test my ph ammonia nitrite and nitrate. When it comes to alkalinity nagnesium and calcium i use redsea pro. I keep those test as accurate as possible to help with coral growth.

Use all the above for years then broke down and bought Hanna meters. Pricey but deluxe and accurate.

Yeah I was looking into them but i didn't want to spend the money but, I think I'm gonna get them in the near future

Use all the above for years then broke down and bought Hanna meters. Pricey but deluxe and accurate.

Are the Hanna meters good for a long enough period that they will be cheaper than test kits over the years? I was considering them but only if this is the case. And sorry, I am not trying to hijack this thread I was just curious on this.

Are the Hanna meters good for a long enough period that they will be cheaper than test kits over the years? I was considering them but only if this is the case. And sorry, I am not trying to hijack this thread I was just curious on this.

There's not much to wear out. You have to buy reagents like all the others, but that's all.

I use the API and haven't noticed any inaccuracies with it like some people are saying. Usually I double test just to make sure and I also occasionally take samples to the LFS to make sure it's reading right because I hear negative things about it a lot. -seems to me, as long as you read and follow directions in the sense of shaking the solutions (I think nitrAte) that you're supposed to, for as long as you're supposed to it should read accurately.

I use the API and haven't noticed any inaccuracies with it like some people are saying. Usually I double test just to make sure and I also occasionally take samples to the LFS to make sure it's reading right because I hear negative things about it a lot. -seems to me, as long as you read and follow directions in the sense of shaking the solutions (I think nitrAte) that you're supposed to, for as long as you're supposed to it should read accurately.

This generally works fine, but I am growing SPS corals and wish to keep phosphates below .05ppm. The color compare test kits are pretty inaccurate at these levels.

Have you tested with other brands of test kit to know if there is an inaccuracy. And I'm guessing your lfs uses Api cause its cheap so your results would be the same. I used api for years and it always tested high like 80-100 switched to salifert and found they were actually 20 to 40.

Have you tested with other brands of test kit to know if there is an inaccuracy. And I'm guessing your lfs uses Api cause its cheap so your results would be the same. I used api for years and it always tested high like 80-100 switched to salifert and found they were actually 20 to 40.

I haven't personally tested with different liquid kits but have strips which generally come out the same (though you do get an inaccurate strip her and there). My LFS does use APi occasionally, but also uses another kit though ccan't tell you off hand which it is exactly as my fiancé has been the one to bring it there the last few times. The times before that I saw the kit but can't recall te exact brand.

Back
Top Bottom