Testing testing 1, 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STARFYRE

Aquarium Advice Freak
As some of you know this is my first SW venture. I can read all day, but I don't start grasping concepts until I'm actually working with stuff hands on. Most of the material I've read is very confusing. This may sound dumb....is alkalinity the same as carbonate hardness? My reef test kit has calcium, carbonate hardness, and phosphates. Is there anything else I need to be testing? I understand the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH because of my FW experience, so that is not a problem. Do I need the tests in my reef kit before I have a reef in there? I was told that my LR requires the correct calcium levels (380-450). Once my tank cycles, what should I be testing for?

1. Yes actually refers to alkalinity.

2 During a cycle, amonia, nitrite, nitrate to figure out cycle,PH is also important to stabilize.

3. Once tank is cycled you can test for PH, CA, ALK, MG(occasionaly) Very important to keep ALk in check...You will get a grasp for where your tank is at and testing will not be as frequent and will depend on what you are keeping. 380-450 is good for CA preferably >400

Who told you your LR contained CA?? I do not understand. Some things have buffering agents however your LR does not supply the CA for your aquarium.

Yes, we measure alkalinity based on carbonate hardness in reef tanks.

Once your tank cycles, I would periodically monitor pH, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, calcium, alkalinity, and specific gravity. Phosphates are a good test to measure the age of your DI resins if you are using one and also if you are having algae issues. Otherwise I don't test for phosphates in my tank. Right now, I would only worry about ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate until your cycle finishes. The rest are pretty much worthless to use at the moment unless you want to know generally.

HTH

Great addition, Devilshirts phosphates can be important expecially in a new tank. I do not test for them due to the fact that I test my RO/DI and I know I have a 0 TDS and I do not feed to much. A lot of phosphate levels can come from fish food and bad water.

So also using RO/DI from the start can save you a lot of headache.

I did a pwc today, hoping to speed up the cycle a little by taking out some of the ammonia (it was at 8.0). My refill water is from a DI unit. I added some osmo prep and then the salt mix. That is how I plan to do all my pwc s.

To tell you the truth, if you do not have animals in the tank, do not do PWC until the end.

This is in fact slowing the cycle...sorry

Actually, you'll want to NOT do a water change until your cycle finishes. Doing a water change is sorta just dragging it on longer. The ammonia will come down on it's own, that is part of the cycling process. You will see ammonia get high, then nitrite get high as ammonia drops off, then eventually you will see 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and some nitrate. Then your cycle is finished. No need to do the extra work. ;)

Devil where is the love I just said that :cry:

Thanx for the tip guys!! I never did pwc s in my FW tanks during a cycle. I just got freaked out when my ammonia was at an 8.0 I'm def ok with not doing anymore pwcs until the tank is cycled. I added more LR since the last pic (which doesn't have an accurate date btw) I'll try to get a pic up soon.

No problem at all!! I remember being freaked out at spikes when I had my first tank. It is all normal and you are on your way!

I agree with everybody about the PWC`s. Wait till it`s done then do a good size one. Cant wait to see the pics.

O.K. I have to fess up. I was naughty. I went and bought 3 snails. 2 turbos and a nassarius. I know I shouldn't have. My fiance (who never showed any interest in my other 8 aquariums) is completely entranced by this SW tank. He begged me to put a fish in there. (How nice it is to see a grown man beg :) ) So I went to the LFS and the guy said the snails should be ok. So I did it. I know, I know..... I feel horrible now. They haven't moved in 2 days. I thought they would help eat up the die off crap on the LR. But instead, I think I sentenced them to an early demise. :( I'm worried the nassarius is rotting away somewhere in the SB. That's why I did the PWC. I was hoping to somewhat lower the ammonia to give them a fighting chance. I was scared to tell you guys, for I know I will be shunned. I am so embarrassed, because I know better. So there it is...That's the truth. Go ahead, lay it on me. I deserve it.

Snails are actually more sensitve to levels then fish from what I read. I'm not a pro at this yet so you aren't alone. Don't feel bad you didn't know. Lesson learned. On the positive side maybe their decaying will help make your tank cycle faster>. :(
I'm really impatient with mine now as well. I get my live rock on Thursday and I hope having something in that tank to look at and monitor will help me be more patient.

Good news! I saw my nassarius climbing all over the LR tonight, so he's not decaying somewhere in my SB. My honey said he saw antennae movement from one of the turbos tonight, so at least one of them is still kickin. I think they just drew back in their shells to avoid the painful sting of the ungodly high amounts of ammonia (poor things). I feel so bad. I also found some critters crawling around my LR. I'm gonna post in the other section to see if any1 knows what they are.

Snails are sensitive especially to high nitrate levels which you are going to begin having.

Though you know you did not make the best move, the good news is I have gone through complete cycles with hitchiker inverts and they survived.

Monitor them if one dies, take it out. Nothing smells worse than a dead snail.

I agree with the rest. Inverts tend to be very sensitive to poor water conditions. Ammonia and nitrItes are way more harmful than nitrAtes. There is still a chance they may not make it through the rest of the cycle (nitrIte spike).
As for test kits....don't dose your tank, unless you have the test kit for what you are dosing. If you do regular PWCs, you should not have to dose with anything.

I'm not going to dose anything anytime soon. And I'm done testing for calcium and carbonate hardness until it cycles. Once it cycles, I'm going to do a pwc. I'll start adding my clean-up crew, and test again. From what I understand, my calcium needs to be right around 400. If it's not, I'll post and find out where to go from there. I was told the LR needs calcium, so I dosed it when I put my first piece in there. But I haven't added anything since. I'm just going to monitor my poor little snails, and test the ammonia and nitrites in a few days. I'm not even gonna test nitrates until ammonia and nitrites are at 0. I'll def keep ya'll posted. :)

Back
Top Bottom