Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-16-2005, 04:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Testing Water & Adding Chemicals??

Starting up a new 55 gal reef tank. I know everything has to cycle. but do have a few questions that I am sure EVERYONE has had when they started.

I put in 75 lbs of cured LR and 60 lbs live sand. It looks beautiful but know things are going to start to happen and I know that.

Saltinity is 1.023, temp 76. PH is 8.0 Ammonia, Nitrites & Nitrates are starting to climb, as expected. My LFS sold me test kits for KH and Calcium. I have not added Calcium to my system yet. WHEN DO I START TO ADD CALCIUM and WHAT IS BEST?

As far as KH, my water is hard and I could get any results when tested. What would be best to condition my water and WHEN do I start?

sharonafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
If the LR is cured you may not see much if any of a cycle. If you are doing a reef I would bump the salinity up to 1.025 and temp to 80. Let your test kits tell you when to add CA and/or ALK. You should be getting some reading from your ALK kit? If your LR is covered in Coralline you will want to keep them in balance from the beginning. It sounds like you are planning on using tap water. If you are serious about having a reef you should look into a RO/DI system or plan on buying water.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote

chemi, chemical, chemicals, sting, testing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com