Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2006, 11:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Just do what the tetra kit calls NO2 and what the AP calls NO2 and see if the results are the same. If they are not then see if the AP NO3 kit matches the tetra NO2 kit result. If they do, then the tetra NO2 kit is labeled wrong. If they do not then see if the AP NO2 matches the tetra NO3. If they do, then AP is the liar. Is it obvious I am a chemist yet?

As a side note, I use AP kits and from what you described it sounds like the tetra kit might be wrong if anything. But they could use different reagents, as Mike469 pointed out. But the flowchart above should work. The NO2 test with the blue liquid is pretty realible and I have seen it in other brands as well, it gives a nice LOD/LOQ. You could also figure it out based on the fact that you would get a higher NO3 reading than NO2 in a cycled tank. So if the tetra NO2 kit says 10 ppm you know they are full of it since all your fish would be dead but can easily live in 10 ppm NO3. Make any sense? lol

Old 07-31-2006, 11:46 PM   #12
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
Right, you shouldn't have any nitrIte, NO2, in a cycled tank, so if your results match, then they should both be 0 (comparing two tests, NO3 and NO2 that look the same).

Quote:
So if the tetra NO2 kit says 10 ppm you know they are full of it since all your fish would be dead but can easily live in 10 ppm NO3
I agree...with 10ppm of nitrIte, the fish shouldn't be alive....or would atleast look like they were dying.

I am also interested in seeing the results.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com