Thank you guys!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you guys know what this is? Growing in the sump

Attachments

• image-1332816798.jpg
    image-1332816798.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 81
don't add "coral vital" or anything else unless you know for sure that you are in need of it. there is really no need for that stuff if you are doing regular water changes and it's not a case of "more is better". more very well may be toxic.

rich, that's sponge. harmless filter feeder.

i feed my LPS the same thing i feed my fish, on occasion. i don't feed soft corals anything.

mr_X said:
don't add "coral vital" or anything else unless you know for sure that you are in need of it. there is really no need for that stuff if you are doing regular water changes and it's not a case of "more is better". more very well may be toxic.

rich, that's sponge. harmless filter feeder.

i feed my LPS the same thing i feed my fish, on occasion. i don't feed soft corals anything.

Lfs told me 10% water change a month? So I'm guessing I need to add iodine and calcium? I dnt kno I'm guessing lol

i do 5 gallons a week on my 55G and if you do regularly weekly water changes you shouldnt have to add anything unless your tank has a heavy amount of coral

hackteck said:
i do 5 gallons a week on my 55G and if you do regularly weekly water changes you shouldnt have to add anything unless your tank has a heavy amount of coral

Maybe that's why he told me I needed to add a drop of iodide and 5ml calcium once a week

no. again, don't add anything you haven't tested for. i would do at least bi-weekly water changes, if not weekly. how else are you exporting waste?
you cannot add calcium without adding an alk buffer. the lfs gave you bad advice.

Here's what I have do these guys look happy?

Attachments

• image-233014310.jpg
    image-233014310.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 87
Yes I guess what's a alk buffer?
i was asking a question. how are you exporting waste?

sodium bicarb or baking soda is an alk buffer. when you add calcium to the tank, your alkalinity changes. you cannot add calcium safely without adding something to buffer the alk.

that said, you don't have enough corals in the tank to warrant the addition of calcium, and when you do, you can do this with weekly water changes, while exporting a lot of excess nutrients in one shot.

if you find BY USING QUALITY TEST KITS, that you need to supplement, check bulk reef supply. they can set you up with whatever you need quite cheaply-
Two Part Calcium and Alkalinity Solution - English

mr_X said:
i was asking a question. how are you exporting waste?

sodium bicarb or baking soda is an alk buffer. when you add calcium to the tank, your alkalinity changes. you cannot add calcium safely without adding something to buffer the alk.

that said, you don't have enough corals in the tank to warrant the addition of calcium, and when you do, you can do this with weekly water changes, while exporting a lot of excess nutrients in one shot.

if you find BY USING QUALITY TEST KITS, that you need to supplement, check bulk reef supply. they can set you up with whatever you need quite cheaply-
Two Part Calcium and Alkalinity Solution - English

Ok if I add 5ml how much baking soda will I need?

Back
Top Bottom