Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2007, 08:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I applaud you on your progress Frogswan. the tank is coming together nicely. You can just never predict what clownfish will take something as a host. I have a pair of percs and they "time share" between my BTA, torch coral and hammer coral. They actually began using the torch as a host before the anemone. very unpredictable animals. If an anemone is in your future, I also suggest waiting a few months.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks. but i think i might have spoke too soon. i dont know alot about corals and how they act or when they sleep? i think there might be something wrong now. i pointed my power heads away from my pulsing xenina and my torch because i though mabey they were getting to much flow. but i still see them both now curl up in a ball. but it dont always happen. only like at night and mabe once in the day. they will come out of it and be fine, one of the torchs heads are still out waving around and looks good the others (2) are in a ball. i dont know if this is the way the sleep or even if they sleep? i just checked my water spec's and every things in check. lights are on for 12hrs a day and off 12 hrs. is this normal if not wat could be wrong?
heres a pic. sorry its a little blurry but i cant seem to get this camera to work right.
i dont know what could be wrong. waters fine and i dont think it could be the hermits bothering it. i only have a few hermits. i really dont think i have any pest shrimp and if so i have never seen him in the past 2 months. could it have to do with him being new to the tank? very frustrated right now.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:00 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I would cut the lighting back to about 8 hours of daylight. How often are you doing PWCs? I would recomend doing them at leaset every other week. Also does your water temp stay constant or does it go up and down? As little as a 3 degree swing up or down in a 12 hour period can cuase your corals to act like what you are describing.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:34 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

lol now at 1028pm the 2 heads came out and 1 other one that was out in the first place when in to hiding. . i do PWC every week to help keep ntrates low as close to 0 ppms as possible. i i have my temp set about 78 and i will ckeck to see if it swings a little. never though of that. and whats a good light time. i have them coming on at 8am and going off at 8pm. should i have them on at 8 and off at say 4pm? and if so how long do i keep it like this?
Old 03-19-2007, 11:53 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have my lights come on at Noon well one MH at noon the other at 12:30 and the they go off at 9:30 and 10:00pm. You don't have a thermometer on your tank? I monitor temp all the time on my tank.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:20 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

yea i have on in there. it kind floats around the tank to get a good temp. right now it reads 78 and i only have 1 light just a 150wtt hqi. and the LEDS that are on it also 4 white and 4 blue
Old 03-20-2007, 12:24 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Mine is digital with dual probs...one is in the tank overflow and the other is in the return of my sump. They are usually within a degree of each other. I've never used the float type. I would still suggest an 8-9 hour light period. That may help...just reduce it slowly, take an hour off the on time and an hour off the off time. See if that helps and then in a week reduce it an hour on and off again...
Old 03-20-2007, 12:27 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
i i have my temp set about 78 and i will ckeck to see if it swings
IME the settings on the heaters are off. I would not be surprised if you were actually a few degrees higher or lower in reality. A good glass or electronic thermometer is a must. A 12 hour lighting schedule is fine w/ fluorescents, but you will have to replace lamps more frequently since you have coral. Cutting the length of time the lights are on and slowly increasing back to normal over 7-14 days, and/or adding a layer of screen to the top of the tank, when adding new coral is a good idea. They need to be acclimated to lighting as well as water chemistry.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:22 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

hey guys just a update. over the past 36hrs i have been recording my temps about every hr ( even at night) sleeping tuff but i have found that the swing is about 1.4 degrees from when the lights go off and come on i backed my lighting down to 10hrs now and i am thinking that mabey a PH swing could be doin this? could this be the problem?
any other suggestions would be thankful. i am trying to get this problem fixed asap. i dont know over time if this keeps happening could stress out and kill my corals?
Old 03-21-2007, 10:43 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
1.4 degrees is no too drastic. You can set your heater for the highest temp your tank gets, so when the lights go off the heater should keep the temp more stable.
I run my lights from 2PM to 10PM (I don't get home till 7) so that I have some viewing time, after work.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com