Thanks to thos who helped!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

33w_fish_guy

Aquarium Advice Regular
i just wanted to say thanks to those of you who helped me with information and getting my tank together. I saw my first signs of life from what I thought was very dead LR. I have a tiny feather duster that is is active during my 4hr light period. I also have what looked like dead clams in hole in the LR, but now they seem to be moving in and out or the LR.
Does anyone have any suggetions on what I should do? I haven taken water samples as of the last 3 days I will tomorrow...

Thanks for all of your help everyone

You should take water samples more often and probably do frequent water changes if there is stuff on the LR that may be decaying. Ammonia spikes could kill what life there is left IMO. Where are you on the cycling of the tank? Trying to do it with the rock or already done?

I've heard folks at this site say they've gotten big kicks from just discovering life on their new rock, long before the fish get added. Hopefully you'll do the same and not loose too much of it. Good luck!

OK, just looked at your web site and it appears that you cyled prior to 10/6 when you added the rock. Those nitrates @ above 50 is scary, but maybe someone can look at the 3 day history you logged and provide more info for you. Need that new test kit now, huh?

You know, I really gotta take my time when positing without caffiene. I guess I meant to say - it appears that you attempted to cycle prior to 10/6. The three day log on parameters may suggest something meaningful to those who know more about cyling and where you might be in the process. But water changes might be needed.

OK. I'm gonna go get some caffiene now and get my future messages together - in one post! :oops:

Keep doing the water changes throughout the cycle. It will minmize the amount of die off you have in the tank preserving additional life and hitchikers. The water changes will not prolong the cycle time.

In your notes at the bottom the listed specs have nitrate listed twice. I am guessing one is meant to be nitrite?

Keep an eye on the SG. It was fine at 1.024 and is now 1.022. Maintaining a constant number is rather important and should be left closer to 1.025 based on your temp readings.

I wouldn't worry too much about the alk testing at this point (save your $$) as long as the pH stays in a decent range. With the continued water changes, both of these should be maintained quite well depending on GPH and tank cover.

The ammonia results results show the tank cycling but in marine aquaria, only free ammonia (NH3) is necessary to test. Do to the higher pH levels maintained, total ammonia (NH4) is not toxic and therefore does not need testing.

Looks good although the cam was offline :p

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom