Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2005, 08:18 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

No, that shim isn't "doing" anything. I just placed it there so the gap would be clearly visable in the pic - it is not supporting the tank at all. "viewFromBackWithShim" is the same location as "backCenter" (which has the shim removed) if that makes it any clearer. And no, there is no water in the there, just the 160+ pounds of sand/rock.

I've sent the pics off to all-glass and will hopefully hear back from them today.

Old 02-25-2005, 02:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here are some more pics. The bottom one is from inside the cabinet looking at the back-left corner. You can see that the tank is resting on the cabinet on the side but not at all in the back. The next is of the back-right and shows the same thing.
2cents has it correct, while the sides (and front) are supported, the back is just hanging there.
Still waiting to hear from all-glass. I'm going to the LFS tonight to pick up some more base rock and will tell them about this as well.

Dang it ... ignore the first one.

Old 02-25-2005, 02:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is what I meant to post instead of the first one above...
Old 02-25-2005, 03:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That is the strangest tank stand I've ever seen!

It's almost like there should be another plywood top to it that it's missing. :|
Old 02-25-2005, 03:59 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
It's almost like there should be another plywood top to it that it's missing.
Actually the problem is the "bar" across the rear is not level with the front causing this problem.

Two choices I see if the manufacture won't help is:

1. plywood the whole top and shim under the plywood to make it level.

or

2. knock the center brace up (it's only being held with a couple of staples, most likely) and shim it up to level there.

or

3. get another stand.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:11 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I like the 1st and 3rd choices.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:27 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Customer service emailed back today and this was their reply...

I am contacting the warranty department. Our wood shop manager says if your unhappy with it we should see about exchanging it. He also states that you should not have a problem, however it is your decision on whether or not you want to keep it. He does say it will be fine. I can get back to you on MOnday when I hear from the warranty department on this.

Um, yes, I want a new one!
I also went to the LFS who ordered it for me and the manager there is going to contact her sales rep to be sure I get a new one.

Once the new one comes in I am deffinately going to beef it up with some 2x4 framing and a piece of plywood on top. I plan to put supports at the corners but do you think I need them in the middle as well? Right now if you open the doors in front, it's nice because there is no verticle support in the way so there is a nice wide opening - but if you think I would be wise to put one there I will.

Oh, and BTW my RO unit came today, too bad I can't use it now until I get the new cabinet
Old 02-25-2005, 11:50 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Right now if you open the doors in front, it's nice because there is no verticle support in the way so there is a nice wide opening - but if you think I would be wise to put one there I will.

Should be fine. The whole front is resting on the stand right? If so then you should be ok there.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com