Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2005, 01:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thats my luck!

So I've been anxiously awaiting the arrival of my RO unit so I can fill my 75g tank. I've been rushing home from work every day this week only to find that I have to wait yet another day to fill it.
The other thread in this forum about supporting the bottom of the tank got me thinking about mine. I noticed when I sat it on the (new) stand that there was no support along the whole back edge of the tank. Both the tank and stand are All-Glass so I fired off an email to them this morning. Long story short, I don't think I'm conveying what I think the problem is very well to them so I am going to take some pics tonight to send to them. I sure hope it is that way by design so I don't have to wait for another stand to come in!
Anyone else have an all-glass stand and know what I'm talking about???
Sorry, I just had to vent a little, I just can't wait to see some water in my tank (much less start the cycle, etc)!!!

Old 02-24-2005, 01:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is the back end hanging off the back of the stand? The stand might be made for a 55 gal which is more narrow than a 75 in most cases. Take some pics!

Old 02-24-2005, 01:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

No, it's made for a 75. The stand "looks" like it is supposed to support the bottom edge of the tank but there is a gap between the stand and tank - I guess I just can't describe it very well.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When you say "tank" do you mean the bottom paine of glass, or the plastic supporting strip? Because the bottom glass isn't supposed to touch anything... it'll be like a quarter or half inch away. The only part of the tank that should be touching any part of the base is the bottom 4 edges of the plastic rim (the part that's typically painted black, or wood grain colored). How big is the gap?
Old 02-24-2005, 02:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

OK, I'll try to explain this........
I understand the glass isn't supposed to touch anything - and it doesn't. I'm talking about the plastic frame on the bottom of the tank (underneath the tank).
Now for the stand... There is a lip on the stand that supports the tank frame on both sides (as I would expect). Along the front edge there is one point of contact - something like a 1x4 framing member that runs from the front of the stand to the rear. It's in the center, right under the plastic support member on the tank frame. The problem is that this piece (the 1x4) is not level front to back, so that where I would "think" it is supposed to be supporting the tank frame at the back of the tank (the frame setting on top of it that is), there is about a 1/4' gap.
There is another place where something similar is happing but I'm not going to try to explain that as I have to get back to work.
I'll let you know what they say when I send the pics to all-glass -- I could be totally wrong (but I don't think so).
Old 02-24-2005, 02:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, I would definately send them pics... and post some here too. Sounds like it could be an issue with the base not being level, but you never know. Would like to help, but w/o pics... it's hard.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here goes, never posted pics before...
Old 02-24-2005, 06:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is my concern more clear now?
Old 02-24-2005, 10:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Who put those shims in there??? Is this tank filled with water? 8O

Are you trying to lift the tank up so that the lip of the base isn't so high? Cuz that is a SERIOUS hazard. No tank, not even a 10 gallon, should be supported by shims. All 4 edges of the tank MUST be supported evenly or you risk critical levels of pressure that can cause the tank to crack.

If you could take some pics a bit further away so we can get some perspective, that may help. The biggest problem I see in those pics isn't the gaps... it's those pieces of wood (Shims) that are holding the tank up on the side and back. What would happen if you were to take the shims off?
Old 02-24-2005, 11:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looking at it, I think it would rest on the rear sides and the center be "hanging in the air. If that is the case then I would NOT use that stand as it is,

Take the shims out, take some more pictures, close up and "whole tank" shots, and post them back here and send them to the manufacture also.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com