Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Fish4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 163
Helps there immune system an to fight off diseases
__________________

__________________
Fish4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Beau_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish4ever View Post
Helps there immune system an to fight off diseases
Oh sweet. What should I do if I have left over thawd out mysis shrimp.
__________________

__________________
Beau_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Fish4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 163
I don't know? Lol I feed 2 tanks usually and they both have a lot of fish so i never have that problem..
__________________
Fish4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 183
i thaw in tank water and put water and all in the tank, the small particles get eaten up by coral
__________________
Nosaj81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau_123 View Post
What does the garlic do for the fish
There is no actually documented evidence of garlic doing anything more than assist in the treatment of some internal parasites for fish. It has absolutely no effect on bacteria, fungus, or external parasites such as ich.
__________________
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Fish4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 163
It helps the immune system fight off ich. I had a angel full of ich for 2 days then we fed with garlic and the next day it was almost gone..
__________________
Fish4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: U.S.
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post

There is no actually documented evidence of garlic doing anything more than assist in the treatment of some internal parasites for fish. It has absolutely no effect on bacteria, fungus, or external parasites such as ich.
Very skeptical opinion... But probably based on some fish science. Human science on another hand has documented positive results from use of garlic! That goes even for the protection from "the undead"!
__________________
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish4ever View Post
It helps the immune system fight off ich. I had a angel full of ich for 2 days then we fed with garlic and the next day it was almost gone..

I understand what you are saying, garlic has been touted as the miracle cure for everything and the aquarium culture has been eating it up because it is safe for our tanks and doesn't take much effort.

The only life cycle of ich that we can see is when it is directly on the fish. This stage lasts anywhere from 3-7 days. Give it 1 day for the infected site to become visibly inflammed brings you to 4 days for the spots to disappear which is a perfectly reasonable time frame.

If there is an immune response to ich which happens fairly often (2 of my 4 fish are immune to the strain of ich that I'm taking care of right now) all of the spots would have disappeared quickly. When a foreign pathogen is detected by the immune system it creates TONS of antibodies for the pathogen completely eradicating any trace of it. The antibodies don't stop at this point until their job is finished. With Ich in particular any immune response will be followed by a 6 month immunity to it as long as the fish is no longer exposed to it. If the fish continues to be exposed to ich it will keep continuing until the ich contamination goes away.

Trust me, if garlic was proven to help cure Ich I would jump all over that bandwagon because other treatment methods really really suck.

But on that note of off topicness as to the thawing of frozen food, I just put half a cube in a small container, add some tank water, and swirl it around. I don't bother straining it because I target feed everything and the juice gets fed to my filter feeders.
__________________
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:32 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: U.S.
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post

I understand what you are saying, garlic has been touted as the miracle cure for everything and the aquarium culture has been eating it up because it is safe for our tanks and doesn't take much effort.

The only life cycle of ich that we can see is when it is directly on the fish. This stage lasts anywhere from 3-7 days. Give it 1 day for the infected site to become visibly inflammed brings you to 4 days for the spots to disappear which is a perfectly reasonable time frame.

If there is an immune response to ich which happens fairly often (2 of my 4 fish are immune to the strain of ich that I'm taking care of right now) all of the spots would have disappeared quickly. When a foreign pathogen is detected by the immune system it creates TONS of antibodies for the pathogen completely eradicating any trace of it. The antibodies don't stop at this point until their job is finished. With Ich in particular any immune response will be followed by a 6 month immunity to it as long as the fish is no longer exposed to it. If the fish continues to be exposed to ich it will keep continuing until the ich contamination goes away.

Trust me, if garlic was proven to help cure Ich I would jump all over that bandwagon because other treatment methods really really suck.

But on that note of off topicness as to the thawing of frozen food, I just put half a cube in a small container, add some tank water, and swirl it around. I don't bother straining it because I target feed everything and the juice gets fed to my filter feeders.
I'm messing with you Mebbid
__________________
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:08 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearly View Post
I'm messing with you Mebbid
I figured I still can't get the undead vampire fish out of my head
__________________

__________________
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.