Thawing mysis shrimp.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beau_123

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How shoul I go about thawing my mysis shrimp and feeding them to my fish.

I just put it in a dixie cup and use water from my tank to defrost it. It would be better to strain the water from the food though to reduce waste.

I just put the cube of frozen food in glass bowl, it only takes 4-5 min bfr it's defrosted. Either mix in some tank water or in my case I pour little treated water as I have to split my portions between 5 tanks. I think we all develop our own ways of doing things that work for us best. Good luck and enjoy

I have a designated cup that I've never washed with soap for 1 year and I scoop up some tank water put in a cube add some garlic powder and coral food. Take a shower or leave it there 10-15 minutes stir it up then feed it to my fish and there is usually no waste

I have a designated cup that I've never washed with soap for 1 year and I scoop up some tank water put in a cube add some garlic powder and coral food. Take a shower or leave it there 10-15 minutes stir it up then feed it to my fish and there is usually no waste

Ok, would you please tell me more about garlic? I've been trying to get some info on it. Really want to add it to my fish diet but have not been able to get any recipes

I just get the McCormick garlic powder and I just sprinkle it in ( no certain amount)

I don't know? Lol I feed 2 tanks usually and they both have a lot of fish so i never have that problem..

i thaw in tank water and put water and all in the tank, the small particles get eaten up by coral

What does the garlic do for the fish

There is no actually documented evidence of garlic doing anything more than assist in the treatment of some internal parasites for fish. It has absolutely no effect on bacteria, fungus, or external parasites such as ich.

It helps the immune system fight off ich. I had a angel full of ich for 2 days then we fed with garlic and the next day it was almost gone..

There is no actually documented evidence of garlic doing anything more than assist in the treatment of some internal parasites for fish. It has absolutely no effect on bacteria, fungus, or external parasites such as ich.

Very skeptical opinion... But probably based on some fish science. Human science on another hand has documented positive results from use of garlic! That goes even for the protection from "the undead"!:):):):)

It helps the immune system fight off ich. I had a angel full of ich for 2 days then we fed with garlic and the next day it was almost gone..

I understand what you are saying, garlic has been touted as the miracle cure for everything and the aquarium culture has been eating it up because it is safe for our tanks and doesn't take much effort.

The only life cycle of ich that we can see is when it is directly on the fish. This stage lasts anywhere from 3-7 days. Give it 1 day for the infected site to become visibly inflammed brings you to 4 days for the spots to disappear which is a perfectly reasonable time frame.

If there is an immune response to ich which happens fairly often (2 of my 4 fish are immune to the strain of ich that I'm taking care of right now) all of the spots would have disappeared quickly. When a foreign pathogen is detected by the immune system it creates TONS of antibodies for the pathogen completely eradicating any trace of it. The antibodies don't stop at this point until their job is finished. With Ich in particular any immune response will be followed by a 6 month immunity to it as long as the fish is no longer exposed to it. If the fish continues to be exposed to ich it will keep continuing until the ich contamination goes away.

Trust me, if garlic was proven to help cure Ich I would jump all over that bandwagon because other treatment methods really really suck.

But on that note of off topicness as to the thawing of frozen food, I just put half a cube in a small container, add some tank water, and swirl it around. I don't bother straining it because I target feed everything and the juice gets fed to my filter feeders.

I understand what you are saying, garlic has been touted as the miracle cure for everything and the aquarium culture has been eating it up because it is safe for our tanks and doesn't take much effort.

The only life cycle of ich that we can see is when it is directly on the fish. This stage lasts anywhere from 3-7 days. Give it 1 day for the infected site to become visibly inflammed brings you to 4 days for the spots to disappear which is a perfectly reasonable time frame.

If there is an immune response to ich which happens fairly often (2 of my 4 fish are immune to the strain of ich that I'm taking care of right now) all of the spots would have disappeared quickly. When a foreign pathogen is detected by the immune system it creates TONS of antibodies for the pathogen completely eradicating any trace of it. The antibodies don't stop at this point until their job is finished. With Ich in particular any immune response will be followed by a 6 month immunity to it as long as the fish is no longer exposed to it. If the fish continues to be exposed to ich it will keep continuing until the ich contamination goes away.

Trust me, if garlic was proven to help cure Ich I would jump all over that bandwagon because other treatment methods really really suck.

But on that note of off topicness as to the thawing of frozen food, I just put half a cube in a small container, add some tank water, and swirl it around. I don't bother straining it because I target feed everything and the juice gets fed to my filter feeders.

I'm messing with you Mebbid:)

Back
Top Bottom