Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would suggest bringing a sample of salt to the LFS for testing. That will rule out your water supply or buckets. I have had two bad buckets of Seachem - one too low for magnesium and one too high for calcium. If the LFS confirms your results you will need to send a 2 cup sample to Seachem for them to investigate.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok guys i have tested my tap water once again with some test strips that i just bought at the store and it is showing amonia in the water. Is it possible to have amonia in the water from town water. I thought they filtered the water with high tech filters. So now i am confused if it is my salt or my tap water. The LFS checked my tap water and said there was no amonia. now i checked it with my test strips and it said there is amonia in my tap water.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:30 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

oh yeah the test strip i used were jungle amonia strips. Now i also tested some bottled water and the strips are also telling me that there is amonia in that. Now i cant believe the test strip because why would bottled water have amonia. I think it is the salt.

I also called my water company and they said that there should not be any amonia in my tap water because they test their water with high tech test kits. I believe them.

sorry everyone for the constant messages.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Test strips are really inaccurate, I'd stick with your real test kit. I thought you were using RO, why are you talking about tap water? I'm confused.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:00 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I mean RO water i have my RO attached to my tap so i call it tap water sorry
Old 11-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

A couple questions...

1. What exactly is this "barrel" we're talking about? Plastic? PVC? What brand is it and where did you get it?

2. You mentioned you're adding Prime. Why? And when/where are you adding it... when you're mixing up the salt, or are you just putting it in the RO water?
Old 11-29-2008, 10:33 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I talked to my LFS and they told me that they contacted Seachem and said that i will have a trace of amonia in my mix water due to the Magnesium in the mix that contains small traces of amonia.

I add prime to my ro water i have it so i use it until it is empty. Also it says that it is good for their slime coat.

I also have town water and it always scares me that some chlorine is going to get through my RO DI machine. I know i am weird hahaha
Old 11-29-2008, 10:39 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why do you use prime if you have a RO/DI machine and effective RO/DI machine should eliminate 99.99% of everything. the RO eliminates about 95% and the DI eliminates the rest.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:26 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Prime could be causing the false test results with ammonia. Most test kits (except Seachem's!) will show water treated with Prime as having a trace of ammonia. This has to do with the chemicals involved to dechlorinate the water.

Adding any chemicals to RO/DI water is kind of undoing the whole thing you were trying to achieve - pure water. The carbon block before the RO membrane will eliminate the chlorine in the water before it even hits the membrane. And if your fish are healthy, there's no need to any type of "slime coat" products. Give your fish good clean water, and let them be fish... they'll be fine.

My guess is that if you stop with the Prime (highly recommended!), your ammonia "problems" will go away. The amount of ammonia Seachem is talking about in their salt mix should be unmeasurable using the hobbiest test kits we all use - regardless of brand.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:32 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah but when i had fresh water i used prime all the time and it never showed amonia in my water.

If this is the case what your saying is that it is a false measure.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com