Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2006, 02:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The cycle is finally progressing

A week ago, I had my water tested for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. The woman at the fish store who tested it said it was zero for all three parameters. This week, I tested my water again (using my own test kit), and it registered the following:

ammonia: 0.25 ppm
nitrite: 0.25 ppm

This was a few days after I put a piece of shrimp under the sand. I seeded the aquarium with bacteria last week, and this week as well. Judging from these figures, would it be safe to say that the bacteria are flattening out the cycle? Is is normal to have these figures? What can I expect to see next?

Old 07-31-2006, 02:59 PM   #2
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
Do you have any nitrAtes yet? If not, then I'd say you are in the middle of the cycle. Ammonia looks to be going down while nitrItes are starting to rise. Its hard to say though, with just one reading. Check it every day or every other day to see how things are progressing.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:08 PM   #3

I just tested the nitrates a few minutes ago, and it registered at 0.00 ppm. So I guess I am in the middle of the cycle after all. How long do you think it will take for me to start seeing nitrates?
Old 07-31-2006, 08:56 PM   #4

Depends. BTH, what are you testing with?

and....How are you cycling the tank?
Old 07-31-2006, 09:08 PM   #5

Mike469,

I am testing the water with the Freshwater Master Test Kit, by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals.
The tank is being cycled with six zebra danios, and a piece of shrimp that I placed under the substrate. (I put the shrimp in there on the advice of a woman who worked at an aquarium shop, who said it would help the cycle progress faster.) The fish have been in the tank exactly three weeks, while the shrimp was placed in there almost a week ago.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
What size tank? Depending on the size of the tank, adding shrimp will not help with the cycle IMO. As you will have to do water changes to keep the ammonia down to safe levels for the fish. Or remove the fish and do a fishless cycle. If the ammonia and nitrite levels get too high the fish will suffer and possibly even die.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:47 PM   #7

Zagz:

To answer your question, it is a 55 gallon tank. Would you recommend that I take out the fish, and just leave the shrimp in there? The woman who recommended putting in the shrimp told me that the zebra danios could withstand the extra ammonia, but maybe you're right about the water changes. I have been putting bacteria into the tank to speed up the process, by the way.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

definitely take the shrimp out if you already have zebra danios... all the shrimp will do at this point is further pollute the water and cause more stress for the danios... although they are very hardy being exposed to ammonia still burns their gills and can cause premanent respiratory damage and discomfort... although you may never actually see it. '

What kind of "bacteria" are you adding? is it something from a seeded tank or a product like biospira?
Old 08-01-2006, 01:20 AM   #9

buttercup,

I've added both Nitromax and TLC bacteria cultures I bought from independent fish stores.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:22 AM   #10

You need to remove the shrimp

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com