Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-08-2012, 04:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 17
the cycle process

hey all just started another sw tank about 3 weeks ago and I'm just wanting input on the test results

its a 240 litre tank ( around 63 gallons) with 25 kilos of LR that my LPS got straight from the reef which I put in my tank the day after they got it...

the resullts are
PH ~ 8.2
ALK ~ 2.4 Milli per litre
Ammonia ~ 0.5p.p.m
nitrate ~ 5.0 p.p.m
nitrite ~ 5.0 p.p.m
calcium ~ 440

I'm aiming to be able to put in corals later but the live rock that I did get have some nice corals on it....

how do the results look???
__________________

__________________
Gena1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
 
reefrunner69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Cedar Key, FL
Posts: 1,663
Looks like your off to a good start. The ammonia should fall to 0 and within a few weeks you nitrite should also rise and fall. One both are at 0 do some hefty water changes to reduce nitrates to < 10ppm and your good to add fish and inverts, slowly. Cycling the tank using incurred LR, make sure there is plenty of water flow.
__________________

__________________
Kevin

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 17
tested the nitrites and what not again today just cause I do it everyday and the results are

Nitrite ~ 0.2 P.P.M
Ammonia ~0.25 P.P.M
Nitrate ~ <10 P.P.M

Sorry yesterday the Nitrites were 0.5 not 5.0 LOL

So it looks like its coming down YAY!!!
__________________
Gena1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Schism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena1985
tested the nitrites and what not again today just cause I do it everyday and the results are

Nitrite ~ 0.2 P.P.M
Ammonia ~0.25 P.P.M
Nitrate ~ <10 P.P.M

Sorry yesterday the Nitrites were 0.5 not 5.0 LOL

So it looks like its coming down YAY!!!
Yep looks like its moving along quickly. Should begin to see nitrates skyrocket and ammonia and nitrite drop to zero slowly.
__________________
29g Mixed Reef, 150w 14k Phoenix MH w/ Moonlights, Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB Skimmer, Ecotech Vortech MP10es, ReefKeeper Lite (Plus), PH Probe, Temp Probe, ATO, Carbon/GFO Reactor.
Schism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 17
So today my protien skimmer arrived in the mail it was a big box not what I was expecting at all but I opened it up and to my surprize its huge way to big to fit on my tank... I have a 240 ltr tank and I got one to suite 400 ltrs ( I've been reading and they say its best to go one up from what you need) but I have not way to attach it to my tank and I don't have a sump to put it in either all my filtration goes through my hood mind you I need a deeper hood lol (maybe thinking I can get someone to frab one up for me and if I find that person my skimmer woes will be all better LOL) but until then I wonder if I can rig it to sit in my cupbord under the tank and maybe run hosing to it and back to the tank... Whats your thoughts it is an external one or can be internal but if it goes in my tank I wont have room for any fish oh yeah THOUGHTS?????

Thanks for the help if you need a pic to see it i can do that over the weekend ( still setting up the new computer)
__________________
Gena1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Schism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena1985
So today my protien skimmer arrived in the mail it was a big box not what I was expecting at all but I opened it up and to my surprize its huge way to big to fit on my tank... I have a 240 ltr tank and I got one to suite 400 ltrs ( I've been reading and they say its best to go one up from what you need) but I have not way to attach it to my tank and I don't have a sump to put it in either all my filtration goes through my hood mind you I need a deeper hood lol (maybe thinking I can get someone to frab one up for me and if I find that person my skimmer woes will be all better LOL) but until then I wonder if I can rig it to sit in my cupbord under the tank and maybe run hosing to it and back to the tank... Whats your thoughts it is an external one or can be internal but if it goes in my tank I wont have room for any fish oh yeah THOUGHTS?????

Thanks for the help if you need a pic to see it i can do that over the weekend ( still setting up the new computer)
What skimmer is it?
__________________
29g Mixed Reef, 150w 14k Phoenix MH w/ Moonlights, Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB Skimmer, Ecotech Vortech MP10es, ReefKeeper Lite (Plus), PH Probe, Temp Probe, ATO, Carbon/GFO Reactor.
Schism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
What skimmer is it?


It's an Aqua One ProSkim G216 ... Where I live we can't get many product here because my LPS don't deal in SW so I use ebay for product unless I'm traveling 1 - 1 1/2 hours to buy fish (Dont buy online only because I like to see if the fish is in good health before I buy it)
__________________
Gena1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Schism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena1985 View Post
It's an Aqua One ProSkim G216 ... Where I live we can't get many product here because my LPS don't deal in SW so I use ebay for product unless I'm traveling 1 - 1 1/2 hours to buy fish (Dont buy online only because I like to see if the fish is in good health before I buy it)
That is and in-sump skimmer. If you have no sump your gonna need a Hang On Back skimmer, that hangs on the back of your tank like a power filter would. bulkreefsupply.com is used by many reefer and you will fine a selection of HOB octopus skimmer there etc.
__________________
29g Mixed Reef, 150w 14k Phoenix MH w/ Moonlights, Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB Skimmer, Ecotech Vortech MP10es, ReefKeeper Lite (Plus), PH Probe, Temp Probe, ATO, Carbon/GFO Reactor.
Schism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 17
It says in the booklet that came with it that it can be hung on the side of the tank.... On another note found another hitch hiker today and its an oyster only found it by chance he was open while i was feeding whats in there and my boy banged the cupboard door and i seen him snap close he is about 3 inchs how am i going to take care of it?
__________________
Gena1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Schism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena1985
It says in the booklet that came with it that it can be hung on the side of the tank.... On another note found another hitch hiker today and its an oyster only found it by chance he was open while i was feeding whats in there and my boy banged the cupboard door and i seen him snap close he is about 3 inchs how am i going to take care of it?
If the booklet says that then i would imagine it also includes instructions on how to do so right? Im not familiar with this skimmer but that liojs way to big and bulky to be hanging on the back of a tank.

Hang on back skimmers usually have a much smaller profile.
__________________

__________________
29g Mixed Reef, 150w 14k Phoenix MH w/ Moonlights, Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB Skimmer, Ecotech Vortech MP10es, ReefKeeper Lite (Plus), PH Probe, Temp Probe, ATO, Carbon/GFO Reactor.
Schism is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.