The dead shrimp to cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the_sass72

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is an off the wall question, but I must ask to see if this is the route I will take. I've read more and more about people using shrimp to cycle the tank. Now, I am real sensitive to smell ... does it stink the room?

Sas

Umm... Not sure if the kind of shrimp you use make any difference at all, but I just completed cycling my tank with two large tiger shrimps, and I did not noticed any odd or weird odours at all. Maybe I was just lucky. :mrgreen:

Also, it was suggested to me that one can also grind or cut the shrimps into small pieces to accelerate the decomposition of the shrimps.

HTH

8)

You won't notice any odor if you've got some sort of lid on your tank.
Odor comes mostly from stuff (aka rotten scrumps) being at water (air) level.

Of course, that's hersay.. I used LR and some of it stank plenty until under water..
(none even with my lids open..so I think yur safe unless yur shrimp ends up floating in your sump or on your floor)

Welcome to the addiction!!!

Thanks! Yeah, I could see with my luck the shrimp walking across the floor!

Grinding the shrimp, or making smaller pieces ... whether that is fact or not it does logically make sense. I might try that.

Yeah, this is enough to drive ya nuts. I can hardly wait ... just to get the water going. I'm happy though we are well on our way! I'm looking forward to learning and sharing knowledge I learn.

This sure is addictive!

Sas

Personally I wouldn’t grind the shrimp or cut up too finely, makes for removal that much harder. Two large shrimp cut in 1 or 2 spots should be more that enough to jump start your cycle and also easy to remove once complete.

I used a chunk of fish and I let it disppear completely.. I let my tank cycle through the diatom bloom before I added any livestock, took about 5 weeks.

Sas... take your time! It will be well worth it!

I am going to take my time! I have heard that time and time again. I don't want to go to fast and have bigger problems later. I'm going to use that time to figure out what exactly I want in my new tank. I thought about mapping it all out. I know some things have the ability to move, and that's ok ... but a general idea.

I'm not sure if I want into corals, or just the lower light stuff. But I want that option to be available to me if I decide to. So, I'm researching. I realize I have a lot to learn. I"m just happy to get water in my tank. I hope to get that done tonight, and my salt. My tank isn't level (don't ask how I figure that out :).

The shrimp, I did say grind up ... but I wouldn't do that. I'd just cut it up into sizes I'd put on my fish hook. Thanks for the advice

I'm looking forward to enjoying this tank for a long time.

Sas

You dont want to remove the shrimp unless you put too big a shrimp in there. If you put medium size in there they should stay inthere till gone.

neilster1 said:
I let my tank cycle through the diatom bloom before I added any livestock, took about 5 weeks.
My tank is going through that right now. So, I guess I am on track. :)

Back
Top Bottom