Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: There is so much "Hoopla" on Deep Sand Beds. In your opinion, a DSB is:
The best option we have for substrate right now. 29 55.77%
It's just a "fad" that will fade soon. It's really overrated. 7 13.46%
It's the "In" thing to do! Everyone else says it's great, so it must be... 4 7.69%
Who cares? 3 5.77%
Your CC will be just fine. 9 17.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2004, 08:49 PM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
People whom have problems with their DSB's do so because they either have the sand bed to deep or dont have enough sand sifting critters in the tank. These critters would include worms, mini stars, amphipods and copepods amongst other small inverts. These sifters will keep the sand from becomming a toxic bomb waiting to explode.

I personally run DSB's on my tanks and one of teh tanks I have running now is going on its 4th year. I know many others who have DSb's in tanks much older than this.

I would definatly not call it a fad.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 10:35 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

hey billy nothing like taking something out of context eh? You call that a personal attack but not what was said to me?

Old 11-05-2004, 12:28 AM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Both of you got a bit out of line. It's over and this discussion is moving along fine now. Let's forget about it and call it a heated moment that should not have happened. Instead, let's stick to the subject at hand, which is DSB's, and if we can not agree on any or all points, then we can all take satisfaction in having stated our opinion. Further discussion of the few posts in question should be avoided.
I maintain a 180 with a DSB. So far, I have had no problems with it. Nitrates remain at 0. Fish and corals are happy. Sandbed is full of life. I wouldn't hesitate to set up another tank with a DSB.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:32 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have always been worried about the downside of dsb
Old 11-05-2004, 09:37 AM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Their have always been the two mindsets. The fact is that DSB's have been around for many years and only on a rare occasion do you see people posting about problems as a result of toxic gas buildup in the DSB.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:59 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
As an opinion: The DSB is not a fad at all, but it is indeed a matter of preference and maintenence. Without quoting, someone asked about the ability to keep different form of life or greater ability with the DSB. I connot speak of that but I can speak of the opposite. Take elegance and gonipora species for example. They used to be "staple" easy to care for corals. Now they have become some of the more difficult species to keep. There is subjective evidence that these are "dirty water" corals and IMO have become harder to keep because of the advances in water husbandry and our systems are cleaner today then they were in years past.

A DSB will reduce nitrates, this is proven. A DSB is a nutrient sink, but can be maintained with fauna as FF points out above. Yes there are other methods and sure they work. We as hobbiest simply have more options for sucess in the hobby.

R-
Old 11-05-2004, 10:33 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's interesting that you mention that Sumphead. My LFS recently talked me out of getting a Gonipora because he said my water parameters were too good. Who ever would have thought?
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 05:04 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
just from what ive been seeing and not attacking anything anybody has said here...

it seems a lot of reefers, esp those heavily into corals, have been going back to BB tanks with just starboard to prevent glass breaks, and heavy skimming and powerful filtration andflow. it just seems to me like this makes much more sense- remove waste before it has a chance to break down, poop is not a pet, i dont want it in my tank.

of course it is really a matter of personal opinion. i think that both work fine. for those who feel more comfortable dealing with the natural, then a DSB is probably for you, and if your into the mechanical part of reefing, then BB is probably for you. also its a matter of asthetics, and what you plan to keep in the tank.

for difficult corals like SPS, i would probably go BB to reduce the amount of nusicance algae, phosphates, and nitrates that can sometimes pop up with DSBs, and also because they like extremely high flow and i dont want my sand being blown all over the tank.

then there is people that swear by using an inch of sand or CC, i personally think thats best for fish only tanks or tanks with a few soft corals.

i really think its up to you and that you make it work or not.

JMHO
Old 11-07-2004, 05:18 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
Well said Ms. Kate.

Phases are you telling me a LFS actually talked you out of buying something?!? And based on good advice? Wow, that's a rarity.

R-
Old 11-07-2004, 05:26 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
phew... i thought for sure i was going to incite a riot! lol

Tags
dsb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« QT | Garf Grunge »