The DSB: Myth, Fad, or For Real?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

There is so much "Hoopla" on Deep Sand Beds. In your opinion, a DSB is:

• The best option we have for substrate right now.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's just a "fad" that will fade soon. It's really overrated.

• It's the "In" thing to do! Everyone else says it's great, so it must be...

• Who cares?

• Your CC will be just fine.

• Total voters
Saltwaterteen that's why they are excellent for a refugium(xenias). I am in the process of setting up a fuge and was thinking along with loganj about the dsb in the fuge.

Check our photo gallery for photos of pods and the like. I am fairly sure I have a few pics in there where they are the subject mater.

I am new to this DSB issue but I have a few questions. My fish like to redecorate my tank (clown fish, and yellow tail blue damsels). There are some spots were the sand is over 6 inches deep. In other spots it is only 2 inches deep. In the place were it is very deep along the glass I can see where the sand is turning brown. The deeper the sand the browner it gets. There are also little air bubbles being trapped in the brown parts of the sand. No matter how many times I evenly redistribute the sand an hour later it is in mounds again. Is this a problem, if so what types of sand shifting inhabitants can I get to solve this problem given my tank size.

I appreciate all the feedback. I think what I'm going to do is gradually change substrate over to a DSB.

Thanks to all for the help!

With all this said, I am getting ready to move from a 60 gallon with a SSB and a 15 gallon fuge with a DSB. I am looking at a 135 with an SSB and a 40 gallon fuge with a DSB. Now my questions is: How much DSB do I need to cover this type of setup? Is a 40 gallon with a DSB enough to cover the 135 or do I need a bigger fuge with a bigger DSB? The second question that arises is: Is it the depth of the DSB or the surface area that really matters?

Any help understanding the size of a DSB is greatly appreciated.

I have seen to many problems with older DSB tanks. Mine crashed at 6 years and i know a few other hobbiests tanks who have crashed with a DSB. I run a thin layer of CC now and have 0 nitrates and everything is fine. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom