Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: There is so much "Hoopla" on Deep Sand Beds. In your opinion, a DSB is:
The best option we have for substrate right now. 29 55.77%
It's just a "fad" that will fade soon. It's really overrated. 7 13.46%
It's the "In" thing to do! Everyone else says it's great, so it must be... 4 7.69%
Who cares? 3 5.77%
Your CC will be just fine. 9 17.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2004, 11:36 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Saltwaterteen that's why they are excellent for a refugium(xenias). I am in the process of setting up a fuge and was thinking along with loganj about the dsb in the fuge.

Old 11-08-2004, 09:54 AM   #42
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Check our photo gallery for photos of pods and the like. I am fairly sure I have a few pics in there where they are the subject mater.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 01:53 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
thanks FF
Old 11-08-2004, 06:34 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to LoveLEE143
I am new to this DSB issue but I have a few questions. My fish like to redecorate my tank (clown fish, and yellow tail blue damsels). There are some spots were the sand is over 6 inches deep. In other spots it is only 2 inches deep. In the place were it is very deep along the glass I can see where the sand is turning brown. The deeper the sand the browner it gets. There are also little air bubbles being trapped in the brown parts of the sand. No matter how many times I evenly redistribute the sand an hour later it is in mounds again. Is this a problem, if so what types of sand shifting inhabitants can I get to solve this problem given my tank size.

75gallon l Rena XP3 Filter l 80pds live sand l 30pds of Lace Rock l 40 watts Strip Fluorescent l 1 White Tail Trigger l 1 Titan Trigger l 2 Domino Damsels l 1 Yellow Damsel l 1 Blue Green Chromis l

135 Gallon l Currently buying filter and sand to start the cycle, so my Titan Trigger can have a home all to himself l
LoveLEE143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:36 PM   #45
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Brittle starfish are good sand sifters. Along with the garf packages mentioned above.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 04:58 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I appreciate all the feedback. I think what I'm going to do is gradually change substrate over to a DSB.

Thanks to all for the help!
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:10 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Freak

oops
Old 11-11-2004, 07:50 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Freak

With all this said, I am getting ready to move from a 60 gallon with a SSB and a 15 gallon fuge with a DSB. I am looking at a 135 with an SSB and a 40 gallon fuge with a DSB. Now my questions is: How much DSB do I need to cover this type of setup? Is a 40 gallon with a DSB enough to cover the 135 or do I need a bigger fuge with a bigger DSB? The second question that arises is: Is it the depth of the DSB or the surface area that really matters?

Any help understanding the size of a DSB is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:11 PM   #49

I have seen to many problems with older DSB tanks. Mine crashed at 6 years and i know a few other hobbiests tanks who have crashed with a DSB. I run a thin layer of CC now and have 0 nitrates and everything is fine. Just my opinion.

Tags
dsb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« QT | Garf Grunge »