Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: There is so much "Hoopla" on Deep Sand Beds. In your opinion, a DSB is:
The best option we have for substrate right now. 29 55.77%
It's just a "fad" that will fade soon. It's really overrated. 7 13.46%
It's the "In" thing to do! Everyone else says it's great, so it must be... 4 7.69%
Who cares? 3 5.77%
Your CC will be just fine. 9 17.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-03-2004, 10:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The DSB: Myth, Fad, or For Real?

My friend owns a LFS where I live. I was talking to him today about doing a DSB because I currently have CC, and I was thinking of switching over to a DSB. We talked for about 15 minutes on the subject and he basically says that the DSB is the latest "fad" and it's really not that beneficial or that big of a deal.

What do you guys think?

boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 10:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have to disagree with your friend. I wouldn't call a 20 year evolution a fad. A DSB has its place in reef keeping and is here to stay. It has given the educated aquarist the opportunity to keep more challenging species of marine life than ever before.

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 10:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Quote:
I have to disagree with your friend. I wouldn't call a 20 year evolution a fad. A DSB has its place in reef keeping and is here to stay. It has given the educated aquarist the opportunity to keep more challenging species of marine life than ever before.
Ditto
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 10:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am wondering why you say that you can keep more species with a dsb? I have done a lot of reading on this topic and have never heard that. If that was the case then everyone would have one. Like anything else in this hobby you will have people that swear by them and people that would never do one. I don't think that anyone can say with any certainty that you should or shouldn't. I have a very healthy aquarium and I don't use a dsb and I'm sure others do to. As well with a dsb. The decision is entirely up to you.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A well maintained tank with a DSB will easily keep your nitrates close to 0 which is near NSW. Many lifeforms will not tolerate or thrive with measurable nitrates in a closed environment.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Synthetic salt mix is so far from nsw it isn't even funny. As far as nitrate a dsb isn't the only way or the best way to eliminate nitrate.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:10 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton Eskimo
Synthetic salt mix is so far from nsw it isn't even funny.

It certainly is. It contains none of the pollutants and bad guys you find in ocean waters. Start backing up your posts with some factual information that readers can benefit from.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:20 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phases99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton Eskimo
Synthetic salt mix is so far from nsw it isn't even funny.

It certainly is. It contains none of the pollutants and bad guys you find in ocean waters. Start backing up your posts with some factual information that readers can benefit from.
Why don't you get your facts straight first. Not only does it not contain pollutants it doesn't contain a lot of other things as well want facts? http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-1...ture/index.htm
Old 11-04-2004, 12:47 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My post was referring to the nitrate levels of NSW. Organisms have adjusted to synthetic sea salts just fine. Nitrates are another story. Stop trying to complicate this whole DSB thing. Your are here to pick a fight and have no interest in helping anybody out. Please stop wasting bandwidth.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:07 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Both of you need to calm down.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« QT | Garf Grunge »