The Great Fish Tank Rescue!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoraltheClownfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well today I had to rescue the 55 Gallon SW Tank at my school. It was overgrown with cyanobacteria!
It looked horrible and didn't smell any better than it looked.
So since I'm on break and that I have the keys to my school I spent the whole day cleaning and "pimpin" this tank!

This is what it looked like before
img_1191051_0_b3c19cce1ad50f8bf2c317ba06cb10f5.jpg

The "sand"
img_1191051_1_c85b59cbe23c2aa974a3d2da1cc49098.jpg

The HOB Filter (Hasn't been cleaned in months)
img_1191051_2_abeafb99af1f009c7b33541d05b6968b.jpg

The fish that were rescued
Two damsels and a Coral Beauty Angel
img_1191051_3_0ef7b9726fe3d2dd09b0c7da8d1da1a9.jpg

Thanks everyone! Went to check on it today and it cleared up pretty nice :)
I'm still waiting on getting an Actinic Bulb to join the white one
In other news the Coral Beauty is doing great in my 125. She is enjoying having a ton of live rock to graze on

Since this tank is Cycling at the moment, I would like to throw out stock suggestions out here

Ideas so far:
-Small school of Green Chromis (3 of them?)
-Pair of clowns (True Percs preferred)
- Some inverts (Clean Up Crew) I don't want to get corals maybe later on if they take good care of the tank later on
- Dwarf Angel? (The Coral Beauty isn't going back she is too happy now lol)

Anyone have suggestions?

Well I had no luck on finding a 48" Actinic Bulb, So I just got another Power-Glo bulb. Hopefully putting that in tomorrow as well as taking pics if I remember lol.

Me and My mom Cleaned the entire tank. and the tank so far has about 50 pounds of base rock and only a few pounds of live rock. No fish as of yet (but the tank is ready for some!)

I'm not 100% sure on what fish to put in yet but I'm thinking of a few chromis, a pair of true percula clowns, and maybe some other reef safe fish as this is going to be a reef community :)

aahh you parted way with the AC, maybe turb it into a refugium to suck out some nitrates, and may i suggest gettign rid of the AC power head. mine took t he life of a turbo snail and almost took my other ones life. i only use it to mix up my PWC now

Yeah I did get rid of both the AC and the pwerhead (I ordered a new and also better powerhead) My Friend and I actually set up a 29 gallon tank on the lab table right next to the tank to serve as an experimental refugium. It isn't plumbed or set up yet.

This is the most current photo as of now. I know it needs some water and a good cleaning, but this was taken right after the rocks were rearranged. The tank on the far right is going to be an experimental refugium for this tank.
img_1241424_0_8371543bdf2d2f5e9c2066269f4e21ef.jpg

Back
Top Bottom