Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2004, 06:27 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to mikenegue
It seems that the local home depot in California doesn't carry the Southdown. Is there an alternative that can be found in the West for about the same price and quality?

Also, I've been seeing complete 60-gallon salt water setups (some including fish) being sold between the $300-$800 range. So I'm waiting to see if I can get lucky and snag one of those $200 deals that FishFreak mentioned (anyone out there desperately wanting to unload their tank?). Does anyone have any advice as to what I should be looking for to distinguish between good and poor used setups?

Old 01-05-2004, 11:30 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
tank stand

I don't know about you, but personally I won't pay for the crap that stores sell as furniture. After glancing at the stands being sold at petco and petsmart I wouldn't trust em. Half of them were made with a fiberboard and the other half weren't structurally sound from an engineering standpoint. An engineering degree and cabinetmaking experience tends to make you dislike any storebought furniture.

So I decided to make my own. I spent a total of $40 for a stand and a hood made out of 3/4" maple and maple plywood. A stand and hood of the same size would have cost roughly 300 and not been near the same quality.

just my .02

Jim

Old 01-05-2004, 09:11 PM   #13

Can you give me some quick tips on how to make a sturdy yet presentable stand and canopy? If you have some pictures, could you post them? Also, what do you think about furniture from stores like Ikea? Are they any less useable than the Petco furniture you mentioned?

thanks,
mike
Old 01-06-2004, 12:25 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
Without seeing the furniture firsthand, you can't tell what it's made out of. You want to make sure that a stand isn't made out of a particle board (mdf, osb). If for some reason you end up with a leak, the particle board can turn into mush and lose all of its strength. I took a look on the ikea site. I dont know if anything on there would be capable of holding 800+ pounds.

The stand I made is constructed of 3/4" plywood on all sides with maple trim. There's a picture in my gallery. I'm currently throwing a few coats of tung oil on it.

HTH
Jim
Old 01-06-2004, 02:00 AM   #15

That is one impressive stand. Do you work with wood for a living? I couldn't imagine putting together something that nice. Any ideas for something a little less ambitious? Do you have any pictures of your canopy? By the way, what tools did you use?
Old 01-06-2004, 09:31 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm an engineer and computer scientist according to my degrees but i make furniture for fun. I started last year, and i think it just tends to be a winter thing with me.

To make something a little easier, you could just make a support out of 2x4 and 2x6 pine and then wrap it all with 1/4" plywood that has a hardwood veneer as its top layer.

That cabinet was literally an afternoon of work. I used a tablesaw, jigsaw, drill, biscuit jointer, miter saw , router, shaper and then a jointer and planer because i use rough cut wood typically.

I was just about to put the canopy together, but then i decided that I should wait until I get the final light setup that I plan on using so I dont have to rebuild.

I was just thinking how cool it would be to incorporate a touchscreen into the side that has a readout and controls for pH, temperature, specific gravity, level sensors and a few alarms......that could be a fun thing to do

Jim
Old 01-08-2004, 01:30 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

you can also find a lot of DIY information in our DIY section on this site, Mike.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:34 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to micaheli Send a message via AIM to micaheli Send a message via MSN to micaheli Send a message via Yahoo to micaheli
The garf.org stand

Thaiboxer on this forum has started building this stand and it looks SUPER sturdy and easy to make. If you know how to use power tools, and have access to a couple, this would a fun project that would result in a clean, strong, CUSTOM stand... I plan on making this as well. Here are some links to follow:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photop...r=4174&thumb=1
(This is Nascar Dave's stand... Based on the garf.org plans, but modified. Mine will mimick this design with T-braces and such)

http://www.screwynoodle.com/gallery/Aquarium
This is Thaiboxers stand.. So far so good!

http://www.garf.org/tank/BuildStand.asp
This is the garf.org calculation page. You put how big you want it, and it makes it for you and gives you cut lists and everything.

Once you have the frame done, you can wrap it in 1/4" whatever-is-cheapest material. I'm going to use 1/4" birch because I can stain it and make it look nice. I was going to use MDF for the noise dampening qualities.. But, I happen to HATE MDF/Particle board in general. OSB is okay for somet things.. flooring, under-tank platform, etc..

Tips for stand building:
1)Don't go over 36" in height - it will loose stability. Most people stay between 22 and 34 inches tall. A highly desired height for DIY stands is 32inches.
2)Don't skin the absolute bottom of the stand. Put the bottom platform higher than the frame of the stand. Reason for this is if you have a flat surface on carpet or slightly uneven tile, it will rock, and put your aquarium in jeopardy.
3)Keep a sump in mind when designing it. Try and keep a large enough area for a large enough sump under your aquarium. Without compromising structural integrity of course.

I think thats it. All I can think of. I don't have a crapload of reefing experience, but i have a little woodworking experience and common sense related to it.

Hope I helped,
Old 01-16-2004, 02:49 PM   #19
lex

Send a message via MSN to lex
Another thing to consider when planning a new tank is the inhabitants and their size. I believe a regal tang (that would be dori) can get to be 10 or 12" - anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, I am just going from my memory and I'm not for sure. A fish this size will have trouble living in a tank if there isn't enough swimming room.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:04 PM   #20

Is a wet/dry filter the way to go with a 75gl tank? Right now i have a fluval 404 canister filter, two pwerheads and around 34lbs of live rock and 3 bags of live sand. Tank has been running for month and a half i have two clowns, 4 cromice
coral branded shrimp, sally light foot crab, the emrald crabs, and 9 hermit crabs. Is it time so get a wet/dry filter with pre filter and skimmer built in ( looking at the pro75 ) thanks
jeremy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com