The MASTER PLAN offical build thread 90 Gallons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stat

Aquarium Advice Regular
03/22/09

Okies I bought a 90 gallon setup today off of craigslist it came with

Berlin Sump
Power compact lights 50/50 with moon lights
Red Sea Berlin Skimmer
Oak Cabinet and Canopy
Enihem 825 gph pump
100 Gpd RO/DI Filter.
2 Heaters
5 Power heads
3 Timers

I stopped at the LFS Picked up
5 gallons of premix water
50 pounds of instant ocean
5 pounds of Cured live rubble and 15 pounds of Base Rock (They are cooking in my sump will move to a bucket tomorrow)

I installed the RO/DI and put the tank up. and Blue Backing on the tank. I will begin filling it in the AM (I am not a plumber so I want to let it run under supervision tomorrow)

I plan to fill tank add salt and let set for 2 weeks. Kinda blown my wad today so gotta wait till next payday to add more Live rock.
Here are pictures of the tank as it sits.

Day-2
I plumbed all the parts hung a light in the bottom of my cabinet I used an
Flukers 24 inch combo light has both an 18 inch fluorescent and a 40 watt incandescent bulb.( This I had extra from my older light setup for my turtle tank) It has UVA and UVB bulbs not sure what I would do with the separate spectrum's hehe.

Hung the timers on the wall on the inside of the cabinet got all my permanent wires out of the way all nice and neat.

The tank is about half full of water now...RO/DI is so slow
I have a heater a bubbler in my sump those are the wires in the included picture so it still looks a bit messy.

Attachments

• 90 Gallon tank..jpg
    90 Gallon tank..jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 152
  • Day 2 90 gallon Build.jpg
    Day 2 90 gallon Build.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 66
Hey stat if you dont mind me asking what kind of deal did you get on craigslist for that package?

$400

Were a couple things wrong with it though.
The skimmer needs a new impeller
and the tank has a couple of scratches on the outside there not to bad though.

I have been watching craigslist for about a month this was the best bang for my budget I seen some really nice 120's for 500 though and they were all turn keys setups.
With anything in saltwater if buying off craigslist be patient. GO VISIT the item first TAKE NO money and no way to haul it that way you dont impulse buy it. I visited a couple of tanks and when I got there the tank looked like crap. So with anything used gotta be careful. Plug up all electrical peices and pumps you are buying. Make sure they work.

Good deal. What make is the tank? Take your time! This hobby isn't for the impatient that for sure. I plan on picking up my tank soon but I plan on taking my time with everything else for it.

Good luck on the SW adventure. Make sure you read our article on cycling your tank.

Day 3-7
Nothing to report. I am currently awaiting next payday and I hopefully will buy some Sand and 100 lbs of live rock. I am doing daily water testing and keeping it in a spreed sheet.

Okies alot happend this weekend on my build.

I went and bought 125 lbs of aqua cultured live rock and 30 pounds of live sand and placed it all in my tank.

My tank has been sitting the past month or so with 5 pounds of rubble and 15 pounds of base.

I have been tracking my testing in my main tank Everything looks good.

So I took 20 gallons from my main tank and setup a QT tank with a HOB FILter Rated for 60 gallons. With bubbler and a heater.

I bought my first fish a Niger Trigger hes currently chilling in my qt tank where he will remain for the next 4 weeks.

Here are some pictures hope you enjoy. Let me know how you think I am doing.

My only concern is my trigger is staying up around the filter and kinda float up side ways under neath the lip. He comes down and eats then goes right back up there. Hes been doing that for the last 36 hours or so. I guess hes just hiding and doesnt like what I give him to hide in.

Attachments

• SDC10680.jpg
    SDC10680.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 57
  • SDC10661.jpg
    SDC10661.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 63
Things are cruising along on my tank. Now I should turn my attention to a clean up crew what kind of clean up crew would be compatiable with a Niger trigger that has me perplexd. Let me know what you guys think.

From what I have been told any clean up crew will be a treat for a Niger Trigger. Let alone, any trigger.

I don't think you would have a problem with any CUC. A few snails and hermits should do fine.

Back
Top Bottom