The meaning of high nutrients in water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Dai Phan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I have a problem of the Aiptasia growing in the tank. Yesterday I added 6 peppermint shrimps as I heard they can help to eliminate these anoying pests. I heard that high nutrient (HN) in water is the cause for the outbreak. Well I do PWC 20 gallons every two weeks in my 125 gallon with 20 gallon-ish sump and my nitrate gets about 2-5. So my water IMHO is excellent but because I have the Aiptasia, I have high nutrient load. Does that mean I need to do more PWC or the water is not as "excellent" as I thought it is? DP

Nitrates and phosphates are a big part of excessive nutrients. Do some water test to see where you stand. Do water test of your tank water but also do water test results of your PWC water to make sure you are not adding it to your tank that way. I dont know if I agree that just because you have aiptasia that automatically means your water has excessive nutrients.

Nitrates and phosphates are a big part of excessive nutrients. Do some water test to see where you stand. Do water test of your tank water but also do water test results of your PWC water to make sure you are not adding it to your tank that way. I dont know if I agree that just because you have aiptasia that automatically means your water has excessive nutrients.

Everytime I do PWC, I checked my water BEFORE the change and nitrate stands at 5. I also have the LFS does the test to confirm my reading. After PWC, nitrate gets to 2. Heck I couldn't tell squatt the difference anyway. I was advised to cut back on the PWC as "your tank water quality is excellent and it is unnecessary to do that often". I just read on the Net that HN is the cause for Aiptasia outbreaks. DP

I also disagree on cutting back on the PWC`s. PWC`s accomplish two main goals. 1) They replenish trace elements that are used up during certain fish and coral processes. 2) They help to dilute excessive nutrients in the tank.

I also disagree on cutting back on the PWC`s. PWC`s accomplish two main goals. 1) They replenish trace elements that are used up during certain fish and coral processes. 2) They help to dilute excessive nutrients in the tank.

Right. I will do PWC 20 gallons every 2 weeks but what to do about the HN in the water if my water indeed has HN. Perhaps 40 gallons every two weeks? DP

20% of you water is more then enough for a regular water change. Mike said to check your readings and if they are okay then you are good to go. Just because you have aiptasia does not mean you have high nurients in your tank. Water changes replace all needed elements in your tank so just continue with the water changes as before. Never to many PWC'S. IMO

20% of you water is more then enough for a regular water change. Mike said to check your readings and if they are okay then you are good to go. Just because you have aiptasia does not mean you have high nurients in your tank. Water changes replace all needed elements in your tank so just continue with the water changes as before. Never to many PWC'S. IMO

Excellent advise. Thanks Dai Phan

Back
Top Bottom