Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2005, 11:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

The mysterious disappearing peppermint shrimp

Two weeks ago or more I bought a peppermint shrimp to hopefully take care of some aiptasia I have living on a piece of rock. Within a couple of minutes of being in the tank my new shrimp ended up on the side of my tank where there are 4 bulb tip anenomes living. I didn't think anything of it at the time as I saw it climbing around on the rocks and it seemed ok. That was the last I ever saw of it. I kept looking for it everyday I was off (work 24hr shifts) but never saw it, neither did one of my roommates who was keeping an eye out for it also. After a week I considered it to be a gonner figuring it probably got eaten by an anenome, so i bought another one. When I got the new one into the tank it quickly disappeared and i didn't see it again for about an hour, That was the last time it was ever seen. I've looked everywhere in the tank and can't find either shrimp day or night and the aiptasia are still there. I looked around the tank to see if they might have climbed out and have found nothing. The tank is a 29gal and all that is in there are the anenomes, a maroon clown, and a psudochromis. The only think I could think happened to them is they where eaten by the anenomes. I have found no remains of the what so ever. Just wanted to share, but if anyone has any ideas of what might have happened to them I am listening.

Justin

Old 10-08-2005, 11:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mine did the same thing...Never saw it again...my aptiasia thrived for 2 weeks until I started turkey baster boiling them. A few weeks later I bought a cleaner shrimp and low and behold the pepper came out immediately...I dont see him all the time. But now I see him scavenging and more importantly he has started to rid my tank of the very small leftover aiptasia. Strange little shrimp but I wouldn't worry maybe just give them some time

Old 10-09-2005, 09:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Very strange.....keep us posted if they show back up or if you figure out what is getting them....

Vote for AquariumAdvice
NewFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

mine stayed hidden for at least 2 weeks before they started comming out. i have three and could not find them anywhere.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:40 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I have 2 cleaners and maybe 5 pepps. I say maybe because I usually only see 2-3 of them. On occasion the other two will show up at feeding time. Then again, I haven't seen them in a couple of weeks now... hmmm.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Peppermint shrimp are great hiders. Mine only come out of the rocks at night. If you use a flashlight and cover the lens with red tissue paper, you can watch them at night without scaring them.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to jester Send a message via Yahoo to jester
i did the same thing i put mine in the tank went behind rock gone havent seen him since this was about a month and a half ago and my aspita is still going strong real strong i joe juice them but cant keep up with them what si turkey boiling them i get the turkey baster but then what i gotta get rid of them can the aspitia hurt my corals they always go by my clam thanks
my tank for now is a 60g with a little live sand and then just play sand I got 80 pounds of live rock now I have a wet dry with no bio balls and a protein skimmer and uv steralizer I have power compacts 260 watts I have 1 damsels 1yellow tang 1 flame angel one yellow strip maroon clownfishand and a feather duster and a bulb anemones that the clown lives in and colony polops and some kenya tree corals and 2 fire shrimp snails and hermit crabs and some other crabs

i just got a 40g with like 6 inches of live sand and it is loaded with corals and inverts it was given to me by a friend she had it for 3 years there is a brain coral wellsophyllia and a platygyra brain worm coral green striped mushrooms and red mushrooms yellow colony polyp and button polyp and some type of hard coral not sure what it is also alot of kenya tree oh ya and 2 giant star fish
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very common, I thought mine died until I transferred tank and low and behold there it was. I had not seen it for months.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 03:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks everyone for the info thats makes me feel better. The girl at the LFS told me you can use a syringe to directly apply liquid calcium to the aiptasia and it gets rid of them instantly. She said her and the other girl that works there went around the store on a killing spree the other day. Will let you know if I ever see my pepps again.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have been fortunate to never have aptasia. Maybe this means my Peps are doing their job. Have not heard of using calcium to kill Aptasia, but have heard of lemon juice and something called Joe's juice.

Try a seperate post or do a search on aptasia before you take action. I know there have been several discussion on this site.

Good Luck,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pepper, peppermint, peppermint shrimp, rim, rio, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com